Before graduation, the Sport Management Major requires the completion of a 12-week internship that will provide actual practical experience within the sport industry and in the specific field that the student wishes to pursue. The student will receive 12 semester hours credit and the internship will allow the student to:
- Apply theories and principles to specific situations.
- Demonstrate a growing awareness of organization and administrative structure, techniques, and procedures.
- Work successfully with a variety of personalities and groups.
- Demonstrate professional behavior.
- Exhibit effective communication skills.
- Display effective organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrate creativity, initiative, and responsibility.
- Accept and utilize constructive suggestions to improve performance.
- Demonstrate self-confidence and leadership skills.
- Evaluate oneself in regard to the transition from student to professional.
Students cannot register online for the Sport Management Internship. To begin the process, a student first needs to apply for ESS Departmental approval by downloading (and printing) the paperwork below. The student needs to fill out the application and have it signed by both the internship supervisor and their advisor. The completed application needs to be turned in to Dr. Alan Geist, who will gain final approval from the Chair of Exercise and Sport Science.
After a student gains this final approval, he/she needs to submit the "Non-Traditional Course Request" form to Dr. Geist and then take the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.
Application deadlines for internships will be as follows:
- Summer – April 1
- Fall Semester – April 15
- Spring Semester – November 1
Please see Dr. Geist in advance for any exceptions to this schedule.