The essence of the Cedarville experience in composition is engagement: with performers, with the surrounding community, and with great music past and present. Composition students at Cedarville can expect to participate in valuable collaborations with their peers to create solo, chamber, and ensemble works. The major ensembles including Symphonic Band, Brass Ensemble, and Orchestra are available to read student works. Composition students regularly team up with existing chamber groups to create new repertoire for them. In addition, Cedarville composition students have the opportunity to participate in off-campus internships with local performing groups. It is through these valuable experiences of live performance in tandem with rigorous study that a composer gains the experience necessary for success.
In addition to performance opportunities, students have many other resources at their disposal:
- Award-winning faculty
- Excellent rehearsal rooms and recital hall
- Comprehensive music library
- Electronic music production lab for film scoring and music production
- Well-maintained practice rooms
- Challenging and inspiring music colleagues
- Opportunities to hear great music performed in the greater metropolitan area
If you want to study musical composition in a Christian liberal arts setting, we think that you need look no further. We thank you for considering Cedarville, and we hope you schedule an audition soon.