If you have a driver's license from your home country:
- Call a license bureau that has an exam station.
Xenia Driver Examination Station
601 Ledbetter Road, Suite C
Xenia, OH 45385
Open Tuesday through Saturday (Call for hours of operation or to schedule a driving test.)
This location offers one-stop services with the Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP): driver's license examination station, deputy registrar license agency, and Clerk of Courts title office.
- Tell them you want to convert your foreign license to an Ohio license.
- Make an appointment for a written test and a road test. After passing the tests, you will receive a state driver's license in addition to having your foreign license.
- You must bring a Social Security card, certified birth certificate (no copies), or a passport.
- This must be done within 30 days after you move to Ohio.
If you have never had a license:
Read the information on the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles New Resident Information page.
- Go to any bureau listed above and buy a temporary permit. You will need to take the written test about driver laws in Ohio. See the above link.
- You must bring a Social Security card and certified birth certificate (no copies) or your passport.
If you are a transfer student with an out-of-state driver's license:
- Go to the license bureau and take the written test only. You do not need to make an appointment to take the written test.
- After passing the test you will have to surrender your previous state license.
- You must bring your previous license and a Social Security card with you.
Three Rules You Must Know Before Driving in Ohio
- You MUST have the liability insurance required by law. For more information, please visit the Ohio Department of Insurance.
- If you are transferring your license, you must do this within 30 days after moving to Ohio.
- Know the Ohio driving rules before you start to drive which may differ from other places you have visited in the U.S.
For more information, visit the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles website listed above.