Dr. Christman serves as professor of nursing and the Director of Research for the School of Nursing. She received her B.S.N. from Cedarville College in 1992, and her M.S. (1995) and Ph. D. (2003) from The Ohio State University. Dr. Christman has been at Cedarville since 1997.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University
- M.S., The Ohio State University
- B.S.N., Cedarville University
Areas of Interest:
- Cardiovascular nursing
- Evidence-based nursing practice
Selected Scholarly Activities:
- Ahijevych, K., Kuun, P., Christman, S.K., Wood, T., Browning, K., & Wewers, M.E. (2003). Beliefs about tobacco among Appalachian current and formers users. Applied Nursing Research, 16(2), 93–102.
- Christman, S.K. (2003). Professional update: Help is on the way, but we need to work together. Journal of Vascular Nursing, 21(1), 33–34.
- Christman, S.K. (2005). Research update: New research being undertaken to examine ways to improve exercise capacity in patients with insulin resistance. Journal of Vascular Nursing, 23(3), 115.
- Christman, S.K. (2007). Peripheral vascular disease. In D. Moser and B. Riegel (Eds.), Cardiac Nursing: A companion to Braunwald's heart disease (pp. 728–759). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders.
- Christman, S.K. (2008). Comparison of cost-effectiveness of EVAR vs. OR of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Journal of Vascular Nursing, 26(2), 59.
- Christman, S.K. (2008, November). Deep vein thrombosis: The state of the science. Presented at the 2008 annual American Heart Association International Convention and Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA.
- Christman, S.K. (2008, September). Peripheral arterial disease. Invited by the PAD coalition to present a webinar for the National Council on Aging.
- Christman, S.K., & Nunnelee, J. (2008, June). Evidence based practice and the role of the registered nurse. Presented at the 2008 Society of Vascular Nursing convention, San Diego, CA.
- Christman, S.K. (2008, April). Peripheral Arterial Disease. Invited by the PAD coalition to present at the April 2008 annual African American Methodist Episcopal Congregation Ministries in Christian Education Training/Planning Meeting, Columbus, OH.
- Fish, A.F., Christman, S.K., Frid, D.J., Smith, B.A., & Bryant, C.X. (2009, November). Feasibility and acceptability of stepping exercise for cardiovascular fitness in women. Applied Nursing Research, 22, 274–279.
- Fish, A.F., Frid, D.J., Mitchell, G.L., Fish, J.L., Christman, S.K., & Astroth, K.S. (2007). Readiness to exercise: A comparison of 3 instruments and an interview. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 22(4), 201–206.
- Chair for the Research Grant Subcommittee for the Society for Vascular Nursing, 2000–2003
- Member of the AHA Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease Working Group Steering Committee, 2007–2009
- Editorial board member for the Journal of Vascular Nursing, 2002–present
- Member of the Research Committee for the Society for Vascular Nursing, 2004–present (chair 2004–2008)
- Member of the AHA Summer Undergraduate Research Program Working Group, 2008–present
- Reviewer for the Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- Reviewer for Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care
- Passion Center for Children in Zomba, Malawi: Consultant Community Health Network, 2009–present