Mrs. Swinehart serves as assistant professor of nursing. She graduated from Jewish Hospital School of Nursing in 1973 and served six months on the mission field in Suriname. She earned a B.S.N. from Ohio University in 1997 and an M.S.N. from Capital University in 2005. She was employed as a public health nurse in Ross County, Ohio, for 30 years. She has been at Cedarville University since 2008. She enjoys working with children’s and women’s ministries at her church and has accompanied nursing students on missions trips.
- M.S.N., Capital University
- B.S.N., Ohio University
Areas of Involvement:
- Public and community health nursing
- Grant writing
- Cardiovascular health promotion
Selected Scholarly Activities:
- Swinehart, M. (2000–2004). Produced and authored eight editions of Heart Health of Ross County. Ross County Advertiser.
- Swinehart, M. (2005). Building Blocks. (a brochure addressing prevention of childhood obesity, prepared in collaboration with Partners for a Healthier Youth)
- Swinehart, M. (2005, August). BSN graduates’ perceptions of factors contributing to NCLEX performance. Presented to CUSON faculty and senior undergraduate nursing students.
- Swinehart, M. (2005, October). Chronic disease prevention. Presented at the Ross County Women’s Health Conference.
- Swinehart, M. (2005, October). Health ministry. Presented to Ross County members.
- Swinehart, M. (May and October, 2006). Accurate blood pressure measurement. Presented as a CE Course (3.5 CE) for the Ohio Department of Health.
- Swinehart, M. (2009, August). Swaziland nursing missions trip. Presented to the members of Faith Chapel in morning worship service.
- Swinehart, M. (2008, April). Nursing students’ mission work with NYC immigrants. Poster presented at Sigma Theta Tau Spring Research Day, Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
- Swinehart, M. (2009, September). Healthy aging. Presented at the Ross County Women’s Health Conference.
- Swinehart, M., & Shrubsole, J. (2009, April). The healing benefits of parish nursing. Inspire.
- Coordinated local efforts for The Ohio State University College of Nursing tobacco research project, including participant recruitment and case management, 1998–2000
- Supervised lay health educators as they provided smoking cessation counseling, 1998–2000
- Successfully applied for and received approximately $500,000 in grant monies during employment at Ross County Health District, 1990–2005
- Developed and managed grants related to cardiovascular health including ODH physical activity grants, cardiovascular health (CVH) grants for the American Cancer Society Community Investment grant, the United Way project grant, the Adena Health Foundation grants, and Gannett Foundation, 1995–2005
- Organized, facilitated, and maintained various community coalitions including Ross County Heart Health Taskforce and Partners for a Healthier Youth, 1995–2005
- Conducted community assessments related to cardiovascular health and published the results in a community resource book, 1998–2005
- Facilitated and maintained a county-wide school nurses meeting on a quarterly basis, 2000–2005
- Coordinated CVH activities in Pike County and Vinton County, 2001–2005
- Team leader to Swaziland
- Missionary nurse for Independent Faith Missions