Information technology staff members have been researching and testing GroupWise alternatives since early 2011 with a primary goal of selecting an email and calendaring platform that supports a wider variety of mobile devices. We also wanted to provide a system that was fully functional in a Web environment, including generous file storage space and easy collaboration.
In early April 2012, the announcement was made that Google was selected as our new email and calendaring provider. Many of you are familiar with Google as a search provider and know the high quality software that Google produces. We believe that you will find the “Google apps” environment to be contemporary, feature-rich, and responsive to changing technology environments.
We will provide more detailed information regarding specific dates and procedures for the changeover in the coming weeks…well in advance of moving people to the new system. A short overview is provided below and a more extensive email system frequently asked questions document for your review.
Why has Cedarville University decided to change its email system?
- To provide more reliable support for mobile devices
- To offer increased email and file storage space
- To eliminate the automatic purging of older email messages
- To facilitate document sharing
- To move alumni to a better email system than the NetMail solution they are currently using
Will my email address change?
No. We will be setting up the Google email environment in a manner that will not change your email address.
When will people start using the new system?
Our tentative plan is to move groups of users to the new system in phases:
- Alumni from years prior to 2011: June
- Alumni from 2011 and 2012: July
- Students: July
- Faculty and staff: October