||Check-in and refreshments
||Opening remarks and keynote address: Dr. J. Wesley Baker
||Discussion session 1
||Bud Abbott Runs the Help Desk (video)
||Discussion session 2
||Adjournment and optional Computer Services tours
March 17, 2009
Cedarville University is hosting the 2009 Help Desk Summit for Ohio independent colleges and universities. This year's event will be held on March 17. The event is designed for information sharing by staff members who support technology on their respective campuses. The discussion topics include subjects which are relevant for help-desk staff, computer technicians, and networking staff.
There is no charge for attending the event, but we do ask that you register by March 9 so that we can make appropriate preparation.
The Help Desk Summit is an annual event which was begun by the staff at Ashland University in 2006 and held there again in 2007. The 2008 event was held at the University of Findlay. Our thanks to the fine staff at Ashland and Findlay who had the vision to organize this kind of an event.
Preliminary topics for discussion:
- Training for student staff
- Security access for student staff
- Print quotas
- Technology fees
- Digital signage
- Supporting personally-owned devices
- Supporting Windows and Macintosh
- Centralized vs. decentralized purchasing
- Deploying Windows Vista
- Supporting mobile technologies
- Email outsourcing (Google, Microsoft, etc.)
- Alumni email
- Backups for end users
- User education
- Electronic discovery
- Security policies (password expiration, two-factor authentication, privacy)
- Coping with reduced budgets
If you would like to suggest additional topics, you may do so by sending email to Scott Crosby.