Cedarville University is pleased to provide an environment in which students, faculty and staff can connect their personally-owned computers and network-capable mobile devices to the network and gain access to their CedarNet accounts and the Internet. In order to gain the most benefit from this Information Technology does recommend the following minimum computer configurations.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- PC: Any recent Intel or AMD-based chip. (dual-core or quad-core recommended)
- Mac: Any relatively recent Intel-based model
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Wired: 10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet card
- Wireless: 802.11a/g/n wireless adapter (internal or add-on card)
- Operating System:
- PC: Windows 7 or later
- Mac: OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard or later
In most cases a computer purchased within the last three years will be sufficient for connection to Cedarville’s network. If you have any questions regarding whether your computer meets the above requirements, you can print this page and visit your local computer store to have their staff confirm its compatibility with the network.
If you wish to purchase a new computer to bring to campus with you, Information Technology has arranged partnerships with several vendors to provide computers at a discounted rate for students, faculty and staff. Please visit our new computer site for more information.
For wireless connection details, please visit the main Wireless page or the Frequently Asked Questions About Wireless.
Minimum Software Requirements
- Operating System (any of the following):
- Microsoft Windows XP (Microsoft Windows 7 recommended)
- Mac OS X Leopard or later (version 10.7 Lion recommended)
- Security Software
- Virus protection software (Microsoft Security Essentials recommended)
Whatever operating system is used, SPCs are expected to be regularly updated for security (e.g Microsoft Windows Update for Windows-based systems).
- Internet Browser (any of the following)
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
In addition to the above minimum requirements, we also recommend the following:
- Office Productivity Software
- Microsoft Office Professional is provided on university-owned computers, but not for self-provided computers (SPCs). Students may purchase a discounted copy of Microsoft Office from the University Bookstore. Please visit the Software Pricing web page for details.
- While this software is not a requirement, most students use Microsoft Office or comparable products (such as iWork, Google Docs, or other free alternatives) for papers, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.
While the following are not required for connection to CedarNet, it is strongly recommended that you have easy access to these items.
- Surge protector or uninterruptable power supply
- System restore software, including operating system disk and license information
- Device drivers (software that comes with your network card, printer, etc.)
- Installation disks for any software you have added to your computer