Microsoft is giving students the opportunity to purchase an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Professional at a discounted price. For more information visit the student discount promotional site.
Note: Students who are taking classes in Business Administration or Engineering/Computer Science can get a copy of Windows 7 for free. If you are in that category but have not received your authorization code from Microsoft, please submit a computer service request.
"Office" Productivity Tools
If you are interested in obtaining Microsoft Office, there are various options you may want to consider:
- Microsoft occasionally runs a "direct to student" promotion. For example, here is a link to a promotion that Microsoft has run in the past:
Microsoft Ultimate Steal (Windows Only)
This "Ultimate" version includes:
- The Cedarville University Bookstore sells an academic-license ultimate or enterprise version available for both Windows and Macintosh (including installation CD) for about $80. This pricing is available to all degree-seeking CU students, faculty, and staff. The software can be run on one computer owned by the student and (if that computer is a desktop system) a "secondary portable device" used by that student. The software is not upgradeable. The ultimate/enterprise version includes:
- Many electronics stores (h.h.gregg, BestBuy, etc.) and online retailers (Amazon, Buy.com, etc.) sell a home/student version for around $100. This pricing is available to students and teachers (kingergarten through graduate school). The license can be run on up to three computers owned by the purchaser. The software is not upgradeable. The home/student is available for both Windows and Macintosh. This version contains:
- There are free or inexpensive alternatives to Microsoft Office:
- Open Office is an open-source package which includes components that mimic Microsoft Office. Open Office is free and can be downloaded from the Internet. See the Open Office website for more information.
- Star Office is a low-cost alternative produced by Sun. Star Office includes components similar to Microsoft Office. For details, see the Star Office web site.
Cedarville students, faculty, and staff are eligible to buy Adobe software products at substantial discounts. Details are on this web site:
Logos Bible Study Software
Logos Research Systems is offering special pricing to Cedarville University students, faculty, and staff. Details are on this web site:
The Cedarville University Bookstore carries a variety of Corel/WordPerfect products with pricing that is generally about half of what most retail stores charge. The software is available to any current student, faculty, or staff member. Available titles include:
- Corel DESIGNER Technical Suite 12
- Corel DRAW X3 Graphics Suite
- Corel Painter
- Corel Word Perfect OFFICE X3 (Student & Teacher Edition)
- Corel Paint Shop Pro X
For other software, many vendors give faculty, staff, and students academic pricing on their products. Pricing changes too frequently to post here, but you can determine pricing by contacting one of the vendors below.
Academic and Collegiate Software, Massachusetts, 800-429-1686
Academic Super Store, Texas, 800-817-2347
Campus Technology, Virginia, 800-543-8188
Consistent Computer Bargains, Wisconsin, 800-342-4222
JourneyEd.com, Texas, 800-874-9001
Logos Research Systems (Bible software only), Washington, 800-875-6467