Individual students, faculty, or staff who wish to purchase computers are eligible to purchase Apple and Dell systems at a discounted price. All configuration, pricing, and ordering can be done online via these websites:
As an alternative, students can often get excellent pricing by watching the Sunday newspaper ads for store specials and/or rebate offers.
We recommend that you look for the following features when shopping for a computer:
- At least 4GB of memory (8GB is better)
- At least 160GB of disk space on a notebook computer or 400GB of disk space on a desktop system
- DVD drive
Most of the computers on campus are Windows-based, but we do have a number of students who use Apple computers. The choice of buying Windows vs. Apple would depend on your personal tastes, budget, etc.
- Cedarville University provides a University-owned computer in residence-hall rooms upon request, so it is not necessary for resident students to own their own computer.
- Student-owned computers can access Google Mail and the Internet, but cannot run other University-licensed software (Autocad, SPSS, Microsoft Office, etc.). See the SPC Web site for more information.
- Departments wishing to buy computers should consult with Information Technology prior to the purchase. In general, buying a system other than our standard-issue system will result in higher costs over the life of the system (even if the initial purchase price might be lower).