Individual students, faculty, or staff who wish to purchase computers are eligible to purchase Apple, Dell, and HP systems at a discounted price. All configuration, pricing, and ordering can be done online via these websites:
As an alternative, students can often get excellent pricing by watching the Sunday newspaper ads for store specials and/or rebate offers.
We recommend that you look for the following features when shopping for a computer:
- At least 4GB of memory (8GB is better)
- At least 160GB of disk space on a notebook computer or 400GB of disk space on a desktop system
- DVD drive
Most of the computers on campus are Windows-based, but we do have a number of students who use Apple computers. The choice of buying Windows vs. Apple would depend on your personal tastes, budget, etc.
- Student-owned computers can access Google Mail and the Internet directly and can access selected software titles via the Cedarville Virtual Computer Lab. See the SPC Web site and Virtual Lab Quick Start Guide for more information.
- College-level work includes significant writing (that must conform to established style guides) and may include use of a variety of software applications. We recommend that students have a laptop or desktop computer for this purpose. A tablet can be used on campus, but should be viewed as a supplementary device.
- Departments wishing to buy computers should consult with Information Technology prior to the purchase. In general, buying a system other than our standard-issue system will result in higher costs over the life of the system (even if the initial purchase price might be lower).