The Critical Concern Series is designed to help Christian leaders — current and future — evaluate the issues that impact our culture, the forum models the use of careful biblical analysis and strong critical thinking skills. Throughout the series, we will explore contemporary issues in politics, the media, the arts, science and technology, as well as ministry. And we will do so with a high level of scholarship and civility as our standard.
Critical Concern Series will advance our mission as a Christ-centered university, by contributing to the following stated historical objectives.
- To undergird students in the fundamentals of the Christian faith and stimulate each student to evaluate truth in the light of scriptural truth.
- To increase each student’s awareness of the world of ideas and events which are influencing our contemporary culture and prepare students to participate knowledgably in our society.
- To enable students to develop sound critical and analytical reasoning.
This series supports the following educational objectives.
- The student will be exposed to important contemporary issues in ways that will enhance their ability to be responsible citizens and effective leaders in the church and in society.
- The student will learn to evaluate statements about culture, or solutions to cultural problems in the light of biblical truth.
- The student will learn how to use analytical reasoning and logic to critically evaluate statements about culture.
- The student will learn how to have civil, constructive discussions with people who may hold positions different than our own.