The Cedarville University Writing Center exists to help writers at all levels of proficiency from all academic disciplines develop effective writing skills. This development takes place primarily through one-on-one peer consultations which are adapted to individual writers' needs. Such consultations will be competent and timely, will occur in a comfortable, non-threatening atmosphere, and will address all writing projects in any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming to revision. These consultations focus primarily on the writing at hand, but the long-term goal for every session is to help each tutee become a better writer overall. The center is neither a proofreading service nor a classroom - tutors do not edit or grade. Instead, the center blends service and communication, a blend which at its core is wholly Christian.
In order to help writers improve their writing, we aim to help them:
- Identify global concerns before sentence-level concerns;
- Discover their strengths and weaknesses as writers;
- Understand their assignments;
- Increase their confidence in writing; and
- Develop the initiative to pursue future discourse about writing.