Introduction | Main View | Ad View | Filtering | Authentication | Ad Maintenance | Miscellaneous
The Classifieds system allows you to post an ad for anything that you may want to sell or rent, or for some item that you may be in need of. The main view shows you all of the currently available items that are For Sale, For Rent or Wanted. Ads that have not been updated in the past two weeks are automatically removed from the system nightly.
Main View [top]
The default display for the Classifieds program is to view All Ads. A maximum of 15 ads will be displayed at one time. If more ads are available for viewing, the page navigation will be displayed: . When ads are created, the user has the option to limit the ad to viewing only on campus. If you are viewing the classifieds from off campus, ads marked for on campus viewing will only be visible once you have authenticated.
Ad View [top]
To view all of the information available about an ad, click on the title of that ad in the main view. Once you click on the title, a new window will open displaying the ad, including the full description and contact information. To print the information, choose the Print Ad link located in the top, right-hand corner of the window. When you are finished viewing the record, click on the Close Window link, which is also located in the top, right-hand corner of the window.
Filtering the Output [top]
There are several ways you limit which records are displayed.
First, you can use the links in the Browse by Category area of the Main View screen. Simply click on the name of the category you want, and the page will reload to display only those ads that match the selected category.
Second, you can view all of the ads that you have placed by clicking on the View My Ads link in the Manage My Ads section. If you have not yet authenticated to the system or your login has timed out, an authentication screen will be displayed. After clicking the link, the page will reload and display all the ads you have created. [See Ad Maintenance for more information]
The last way you can filter the output is by using the search feature. Simply type in the word or part of a word you want to find and click the Go button. When searching "All Fields", the search engine will perform a case-insensitive search on the following fields in each ad: Ad Title, Ad Description, and Course Name. The best search results will come when only part of a word is entered.
For example, if you are searching for a strategy book, searching for "strateg" would return matches for both "Strategy" and "Strategic" as is exemplified below.
Authentication to the Classifieds system is required to post an ad, edit your ads, remove your ads, and to view items marked for on-campus viewing from off-campus. The Classifieds system uses the shared Cedarville University Web Authentication System to validate a user. This system uses your standard CedarNet user ID and password as the login credentials.
Ad Maintenance [top]
Within the Classifieds system, you can post an ad, edit your ads, and remove your ads. When creating or editing an ad, there are only two required fields: the category and the ad title. When placing a book ad, it is common to enter the book title in the ad title field and to enter both the Academic Department and the Course Name. The other fields are optional, but will be helpful to persons viewing your ad.
- The phone, ad title, and course name are limited to 50 characters in length.
- If you enter a price, it must be an amount, such as 5.23 for $5.23 or 15300 for $15,300. The price will be properly formatted as a dollar amount when the ad is displayed.
- You may also select any number of the optional price qualifiers to help specify what the price means by selecting the appropriate checkbox(es).
- The daily e-mail option allows you to specify to whom new or updated ads will be sent in the daily Classifieds Update e-mail. (By default, faculty and staff will not receive updates to either the Books or Ride Related categories.)
- Check the box next to Limit to on campus viewing to prevent non-Cedarville people from viewing that ad. From off campus, you can view these ads once you have authenticated.
- Book Ads
- Choose the Academic Department of the course that the book you are placing an ad for falls under.
- Enter a Course Name to help viewers of your ad identify what course this book is used in.
The items listed in the Classifieds system will be purged nightly. All ads that have not been updated during the past two weeks will be removed.