Speech Team Scholarships
Note: This information is valid for new students entering Cedarville in 2013–14.
Cedarville's Speech Team competes intercollegiately in areas such as public speaking, oral interpretation, limited preparation events, and Lincoln-Douglas debate. Team members, whether first year or returning, may apply for a scholarship.
First Year Eligibility
Speech Team Scholarships for first year students may be awarded to new freshmen or transfer students, as well as currently enrolled students who are new to the Speech Team. The coach of the Speech Team awards these scholarships after the applications and interviews are completed. Scholarships range from $500 - $2,000. Auditions are held in the spring and require the following:
- 4-7 minutes of an original, memorized speech
- 4-7 minutes of an oral interpretation performed with a script
- 1-2 minute response to an impromptu, opinion question
The application will assess the following information:
- Previous experience in Forensics Speech competition or related activities
- High school GPA (unweighted 4.0 scale)
- ACT/SAT test scores (SAT scores represent a combination of critical reading and math)
- Rationale for wanting to join the Speech Team
Submit application and interview with the team coach.
Print,complete and submit the Speech Team Scholarship application.
Up to $2,000 per year
- Full-time enrollment required (minimum 12 credit hours per semester)
- Limited to eight semesters of study
- Limited to fall and spring semesters only
- This award may be combined with other scholarships and grants
Based on performance and coach's discretion
Continuing Student Eligibility
Speech Team Scholarships for returning Speech Team members range from $500 - $2,000 based on the number of years in the program. To receive the scholarship the returning team member must inform the Speech Team coach of his or her intent to return at the end of the season (the third week of April). The coach will award the scholarship the following fall after the student returns to the team. No application required; however, the student must meet the following requirements to qualify:
- GPA of at least 2.5
- Level of success in previous year(s) of competition
- Willingness to coach/mentor less experienced team members
- Financial need
If you have questions about this scholarship, contact the Dept. of Media and Applied Communications at 937-766-7959.