Access H, J, S, T Drives from Off-Campus
Cedarville provides multiple network drives where you can access class materials (S: and T:), department files (J:), or store your own files (H:). You can access network drives on a University computer using My Computer or Windows Explorer.
However, if you are off-campus using a laptop or mobile device, you will need to use one of the file access methods outlined below.
Novell Filr is a new and improved method for accessing your H:, J:, S:, and T: drives from mobile devices and from off-campus locations.
Filr has replaced NetStorage (browser-based) and WebDavNav (iOS devices) as the recommended way to access your Cedarville network drives from your mobile devices, or from off-campus locations for laptops.
If you want to access Filr from a smartphone or tablet, you can download a free Novell Filr app. See Filr: Download, Access, and Use on a Smartphone or Tablet Device to download and get started.
If you want to access Filr from a PC or Mac, see Filr: Access and Use on a PC or Mac (laptop or desktop).
It is critical that you set a password on your device before installing the WebDav Nav app. Without one, anyone who picks up your tablet will be able to access files on your network drives.
If you want to continue using WebDavNav on an iOS or Android device, you can still do so to access files from Filr. The only change is to replace the current URL (http://myfiles.cedarville.
Download the WebDav Navigation app:
- Open "App Store."
- Touch the search bar in the upper right-hand corner and begin typing "WebDav Navigator" > Choose it from the displayed results.
- Touch [FREE] next to the app listed under "iPad Apps" (it will change to a green button).
- Touch [Install App].
- Enter your apple ID password and touch [OK].
- If you haven't done so already, you may be prompted to choose three security questions to "Improve Apple ID Security." If the prompt appears, touch [Continue].
- Create three security questions and answers and enter a recovery email address as prompted > Touch [OK].
- A "Download Now" window will open." Touch [OK] to download the app.
Use the WebDav Nav app to access your network drives:
- Open the WebDav app.
- Touch the "+" sign in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Touch the far right side of the "Name" field and enter the name of the connection. We suggest you use "Cedarville" or "Network Drives."
- In the "Server URL" field, enter the following URL exactly: https://filr.cedarville.edu.
- Enter your CedarNet username in the "Username" field.
- Enter your CedarNet password in the "Password" field.
- Touch [Save] (located in the upper right-hand corner).
You will be taken back to the first screen, but the connection you just created will be listed. Touch the connection to view your network drives.
Access network drives from off-campus
- Navigate to the Cedarville Student homepage or Faculty and Staff homepage in Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (the preferred browsers for downloading and uploading in NetStorage).
- Click the "Resources" tab. On the Fac/Staff page, "Resources" is located on the left-hand side in between "Quick Links" and "Services." On the Student page, "Resources" is located on the right-hand side underneath the "Quick Links" tab.
- Choose “H:/J:/S:/T: Drive Access.” The TechStop homepage will display.
- Under the "Web Browser" section, click http://myfiles.cedarville.edu/oneNet/NetStorage.
- You may receive a security certificate error message. If so, click "Continue to this website (not recommended)."
- A list of your network drives will display as folders.
Open a file on a network drive off-campus and make changes to it
To make changes to your file, use the program you used originally to create the document (e.g., Word, Powerpoint, etc.). You must have the appropriate software (e.g. Microsoft Office) on your home computer in order to edit the document at home.
- Follow the instructions in the section above to access your network drives from off-campus.
- Double-click the desired drive. (Your H: drive will be labeled “Home@CEDARVILLE”).
- Double-click the folder you wish to access (e.g., "Docs").
- Click in the box next to the file you wish to open.
- Choose "File" > "Download..." from the menu bar above the document list.
- You will be prompted to [Open] or [Save] the file. Click [Open] if you only want to view it, click [Save] if you want to make changes.
- After the file is saved to your home computer, you can open it and make changes.
Make sure you not only save your document to the computer you are working on, but you also follow the steps in the next section to save the document back to your H: drive.
Move the edited file back to a network drive from off-campus
- Go back to the NetStorage screen (using the steps listed in "Access network drives from off-campus").
- Double-click the folder in which you want to save your edited document.
- Choose "File" > "Upload..." from the menu bar above the document list.
- Uncheck "Overwrite existing files."
- Use [Browse] to navigate to where the file is saved on your home computer.
- Click to select the file > Click [Open].
- Click [Upload] to move the edited file from your home computer's C: drive to the desired network drive.
It is possible to email yourself the updated file, open it from your Google Mail account, and save it the next time you log into a University Computer. However, this method often causes students to lose their changes because they do not take the time to save it to their computer after they’ve opened the file. Be careful using this method and save the document to your desktop after you’ve opened it.
Exit your off-campus access
- Click the icon that looks like a closing door.
- A "Novell Security Services" dialog box may display. Select [OK].
- Close out of your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer) window.
Keywords: remote access, personal computer, personal device, laptop, network, H:, J:, S:, T:, vacation, off campus, offcampus, home, home computer, travel, web access, getting started, drives, drive access, tablet, iPad, web dav nav