CU: Convert Class Rosters to Google Contact Groups
This help page walks through the steps to import a class roster into your Google Contacts to create a Google Group for your class. This will make it much easier to contact students in your class.
Remember to update your Google group if students drop/add the class so that your group stays up-to-date.
Please use Google Chrome as your browser for each step in this process. If you use another browser (for example, Internet Explorer or Firefox), the process may not work.
- Navigate to the Faculty/Staff homepage (cedarville.edu/facstaff) > Log in to CedarInfo.
- Select "Get a class roster" under "Curricular Transactions."
- Enter the relevant term and subject information to identify your class.
- Click the radio button to select “Files on my H: drive” > Check the box next to “Comma-separated-values format for email contact lists.”
- Click [Submit].
- Note the file name and that your .csv file has been saved to the docs folder on your H:\ drive.
- Log in to your University email account (cedarville.edu/google).
- Click on the "Apps" icon (square made of nine small squares) in the top right corner of the interface > Click the “Contacts” tab.
- Click “Import Contacts…” (located in the sidebar).
- Click [Choose File]. Navigate to where the .csv file is saved (from the steps in the section above), and double-click it to open the file.
- Click [Import]. The new contact group will be named "Imported" with today’s date by default. Follow the steps below to give the group a more descriptive name.
- Click the group name in the sidebar to select and open it.
- Click the [More] drop-down (located above the list) and choose "Rename group" from the resulting list.
- In the "Rename group" window that opens, enter the new name and then click [OK].
It does not matter if the student's emails have ga in them. Either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com will work.
Keywords: roster, contact, group, import, address book, google