Create a Strong Password
Computer passwords guard a variety of information, including financial records and other sensitive personal data. They also serve to protect your identity and reputation by keeping others from accessing your email and instant messenger accounts. For information on how to create a strong and reliable password, see the guidelines and resources below.
Information technology recommends that passwords you create should:
- Be at least 8 characters long.
- Contain a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Contain no dictionary words.
- Contain no common dates or numbers (such as your birthday, social security number, ID number).
- Contain no personally-identifiable information (i.e., your name, names of relatives or friends, your hometown, your pets, etc.)
- Be easy for you to remember, but hard for others to guess.
These password guidelines are required for all CedarNet passwords. If you are creating a password for a gaming device, it is highly recommended that you NOT use your CedarNet password. A compromise of your gaming password will create significant security risks if it is used for your school accounts as well.
Keywords: pass word, code, log in, login, identity, identity theft, prevention, prevent, loss, crime