Install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on a Personal Computer
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is the computer protection suite that the University uses to protect computers from viruses and other threats. Microsoft makes MSE available at no additional charge for University computers as well as personal computers. If you would like to install MSE on your personal computer, follow the steps below.
In order to install, you may need to identify your version of Windows.
To install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on your personal computer:
- Go to the MSE website.
- Click [Download now].
- Once the download has finished, click "mseinstall.exe" to open the program's installation wizard.
- If required, enter an administrator password and click [Yes].
- Follow the installation instructions by clicking [Next >].
- Read the Software License Terms and agree to them by clicking [I accept].
- Joining the Customer Experience Improvement Program is your personal choice to opt in or out. This helps Microsoft collect performance statistics to help make the product better. Click to join or not join the program and then click [Next >].
- Be sure to check the box for "If no firewall is turned on, turn on Windows Firewall (Recommended)." Checking "Turn on automatic sample submission" is your personal choice.
- Click [Next >] > then [Install].
- Once the program has installed, click [Finish].
- MSE will install the latest virus and spyware definitions, followed by a scan of your personal computer. Let this finish, then close the program.
- Once the scan is complete, restart your computer. Microsoft Security Essentials will then be active on your computer.
For additional information about MSE, such as features and benefits and system requirements, visit Microsoft's website.