Installing Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on a Self Provided Computer
Microsoft Security Essentials is the software protection suite that the University uses to protect computers from viruses and other threats. Microsoft makes it available at no charge for University computers as well as Self-Provided Computers (SPC).
In order to install, you will need to identify your version of Windows.
To install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on your personal computer:
- Go to the MSE website.
- Select your version of Windows from the drop-down list, and click "Download now."
- Once the download has finished, click "mseinstall.exe" to open the program's installation wizard.
- If required, enter an administrator password and click "Yes."
- Follow the installation instructions, using the "next" button.
- Read the Software License Terms and agree to them by clicking "I accept."
- Joining the Customer Experience Improvement Program is your personal choice to opt in or not. This allows Microsoft to collect performance statistics to help make the product better.
- Be sure to check the box "If no firewall is turned on, turn on Windows Firewall (Recommended)."
- Click "Next" > then "Install."
- Once the program has installed, click "Finish."
- MSE will install the latest virus and spyware definitions, followed by a scan of your personal computer. Let this finish, then close the program.
- Once the scan is complete, restart your computer.
For additional information about MSE, such as features and benefits and system requirements, visit Microsoft's website.