Monitor: Dual Screen Setup for Desktop Computers
The following instructions will walk through how to configure two monitors to display a single, connected (extended) workspace.
- Log in to your desktop computer. Power on your second monitor.
- Right-click on the desktop > Select "Catalyst (TM) Control Center."
- Click on the radio button labeled "Basic" > Click the [Next >] button.
- Select the "Easy Setup Wizards" tab > Click [Go >].
- Available monitors will show up in a two-column list on your screen by make/model number.
- In the left column, click the radio button next to your choice of "Main Display" (the monitor which will contain the toolbar).
- Now choose the "Second Display" from the second column > Click [Next >].
- Click the radio button labeled "Extended Desktop" > Choose [Next >].
- Answer [Yes] when prompted.
- For 17-19" monitors, the recommended resolution is 1280 x 1024.
- Choose the appropriate resolution from the dropdown list.
- Click [Next >] and choose [Yes] when prompted.
- If you wish the mouse to scroll left to right, make sure monitor "1" is on the left and "2" is on the right. Use your mouse to move the monitor position.
- Click the [Identify] button if you are unsure which monitor is "1" or "2."
- Click [Finish] and then [Exit] to complete the dual screen setup.
- If you are using a notebook computer with an external monitor, please refer to the related help page which covers Dual Screen Setup for Notebook Computers .
- The above instructions will only work for the two generations of Hewlett-Packard (HP) computers on campus.
- If you have a University-owned Dell computer, or if you have any difficulty following these steps, please submit an IT request (ITR).
Keywords: monitor, screen, dualscreen, dualmonitor, dual screen, dual monitor, setup, set up.