Outlook: Install Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook is available to download from CedarNet on an as-needed basis. Please submit an online Computer Service Request if you are interested in using Outlook to view your email and calendar.
Installing Outlook will uninstall the Novell Groupwise client (software) from your computer.
The majority of Cedarville users will not need to use Outlook to access their Google account. To determine whether you should install Outlook, read the help page "Is Microsoft Outlook Right for Me?" for more information about the differences between Outlook and Google Apps.
- Go to [Start] > All Programs > _CedarNet > Communications.
- Click “Outlook Main Installation.” The installation will start automatically and will take about 5 minutes.
- Groupwise will be uninstalled from your computer; if you have a Groupwise shortcut on your desktop, it will disappear after this part of the installation is completed.
When the installation process is complete, the installation box will disappear, and several new options will be available in your Start menu:
- "Set up a Google Apps Sync user" will appear in the Start menu and in the Google Apps Sync folder of All Programs.
- Microsoft Outlook 2010 will appear in the Microsoft Office folder of All Programs.
Before you can use Outlook to access your email and calendar, you will need to follow the steps to set up Google Apps Sync. Setting up a Google Apps Sync user links your Google account to Outlook so that Outlook can synchronize your emails, tasks, and calendars.
After you install Microsoft Outlook, you will have to run the Google Apps Sync tool to set up Outlook to synchronize your Cedarville mailbox and calendar. This process may take an hour or more to complete initially, depending on the size of your mailbox as Outlook must synchronize all of your emails, contacts, and calendars.
- Go to [Start] > All Programs > Google Apps Sync.
- Click “Set up a Google Apps Sync user” to run the set-up. A box will appear prompting you to sign in to your Google account.
- In the “Email address” line, enter your Cedarville email account (including @cedarville.edu).
- In the “Do you have a Google password?” section, select “No, help me sign-in.”
- Click [Continue].
- A browser window will open taking you to the Cedarville Google Apps landing page. Enter your username and password and click [Login]. This will take you to a permissions page.
- Click [Allow access].
- A screen may appear asking you to copy a code and enter into your application. You do not need to do anything with this code.
- In the “Set Up Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook” box that appears, click [Create profile].
- Click [Start Microsoft Outlook]. Outlook will open and begin synchronizing your Google Apps account. This process may take an hour or more depending on how many items you have in your account. The progress will show in the Synchronization Status box.
- When Outlook has finished synchronizing, close the Synchronization Status box.
If you have been delegated other Google Apps accounts (called proxy access in GroupWise), you will need to complete this process for each account to be able to access those delegated accounts in Outlook.
In order for this process to work, you must already have been granted access to the delegated account in Google Apps.
- Go to [Start] > Google Apps Sync >Add an account for delegation.
- In the “Add account for delegation to Google Apps Sync” box, enter the email address for the account you have been delegated (i.e., a department account, student organization account, or supervisor's account). Type the full email address, including “@cedarville.edu”.
- Click [OK]. A message box should appear confirming that the account has been added to your synchronization list. Click [OK] again.
- Google Sync will synchronize the emails and/or calendar of the delegated account depending upon granted permissions.
- To access the delegated accounts, scroll down below your folders in the Outlook navigation pane until you see the account of the delegated email address. All folders you have been given access to should display in this pane.
Once you have downloaded Microsoft Outlook, you can access it from the Start Menu by going to [Start] > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Outlook 2010. For easy access tips, see the Access Microsoft Outlook page.
If you encounter any problems in the installation process, contact information technology at 937-766-7905.
Keywords: Outlook, uninstall Groupwise, using Outlook, getting Outlook, Microsoft Outlook, MS Outlook, use Outlook, calendar, Outlook client, email client, get email into Outlook, open emails in Outlook, Cedarville email in Outlook