Resize an Image for Email
You can resize an image in a number of ways, depending on what programs you have installed on the computer you're working on. Information technology asks that you do not send emails over 2MB. See the HTML Email Courtesy Guidelines for more information.
Even if you don't have much Photoshop experience, you can easily use the program to resize an image. This is the most reliable method and will give you the best results. Every University-owned computer can install Photoshop from CedarNet.
- Open the image in Photoshop.
- Click [File] > "Save for Web & Devices."
- If you get a message saying "The image exceeds the size for Save for Web & Devices was designed for...Are you sure you want to continue?", click [Yes].
- The Save for Web & Devices box will open with a preview of your image. The current size of the image is listed below the preview.
- Under the "Image Size" section on the bottom right, lower the "Percent" until the image is a smaller size.
- Click [Save].
- Select a location for the image and click [Save].
If you do not have Photoshop installed and cannot wait for the installation through CedarNet, you can use PowerPoint to resize an image, though this method is less precise.
- Open a blank presentation in PowerPoint.
- From the "Insert" tab, select "Picture."
- In the dialog box that opens, navigate to the image you want to resize > Click [Insert].
Use the image handles (small circles on the corners of the image) to fit the picture to the slide.
- To keep from distorting the image, hold the [Shift] key while resizing the image.
- You must fit the entire picture on the slide. Any part of the picture not on the slide will be lost.
- Click "File" > "Save As."
- Name the file and from the "Save as Type" drop-down menu, select "JPEG File Exchange Format."
- Click [Save]. If a dialog box appears, select [Current Slide Only].
If your computer is running Windows 7, the new version of Paint has an image resize feature that works well and is reliable.
- Go to [Start] > "All Programs" > "Accessories" > Open Paint.
- In Paint, open the image you want to resize by clicking the Paint drop-down tab > "Open."
- Under the "Home" tab, click "Resize."
- To resize according to pixels (we recommend 640 x 480 for email messages), select the "Pixels" radio button and enter the pixels in the boxes. Make sure the "Maintain aspect ratio" box is checked, or your image will be distorted.
- Click [OK].
- Click the Paint drop-down tab > Select "Save as."
- Locate and rename your file. Make sure that the "Save as type" is JPEG > Click [Save].
Keywords: picture, different size, e-mail image, e-mail picture, email image, email picture, photos, change size, change image size, change picture size, gif, jpgEmail this to a Friend