Standardized Support for University Hardware (faculty/staff only)
We encourage you to consult with us before making any computer-related hardware purchase for your department. We will try to help you select appropriate equipment and get a good price. If you purchase one of our recommended hardware items, we are better able to help you with installation, training, operation, and repair. Ordinarily, we cannot provide these services for non-recommended hardware. (Note that all computer acquisitions should be reviewed by Information Technology prior to purchase.)
Thinking about purchasing software? See the Standardized Support for University Software computer help page.
- Desktop systems: Current Windows-PC vendor as selected by competitive bid in April of each year.
- Notebook systems: Current Windows-PC vendor as selected by competitive bid in April of each year.
- Apple (iOS).
- Asus (Android).
- Cell Phones/Smart Phones: Android, iOS (see cuMobile for service and data plan discounts).
- Brother for individual offices.
- Dell for work groups (color).
- Hewlett-Packard for work groups (black/white).
- Scanners under $1,000: Hewlett-Packard.
- Scanners over $1,000: Fujitsu.
- Blackberries: Unable to connect to the network because the requisite servers and software are not available to support these devices.
- Inkjet printers: Not deployed for office use due to the high cost of ink compared to laser printers.
Because of staffing limitations, support for personally owned computers is by an online computer service request.
Keywords: mobile, laptop, notebook, computer, plan, data plan, cellular, recommend, recommended, requirements, buy, purchase, buying, purchasing, technology, approved, approval, technology, brand, product, type, model, accordion, supported hardware, hardware support