Use Google Chat
Google Mail has a built-in Chat gadget that you can use to send instant messages. If you use the Google Chrome browser, you can also install the "Chat for Google Chrome" extension, which allows you to use the Chat feature outside of Google Mail (with out having your Mail open).
To display the Chat gadget, click the Chat icon in the lower left corner of your Mail screen. You can click the icon again to hide the Chat gadget.
- Begin typing the name of the individual you would like to chat with in to the "Search people..." textbox on the Chat gadget (Google will pull from your contacts and the Cedarville directory).
- Once the name appears, hover your cursor over it and click "Invite to chat" (Google will let you know that "Your invitation has been sent successfully" with a pop-up, and the name, with "Invited," will be listed on the Chat gadget).
If you would like to add someone who is not include in your Contacts or who is not in the Cedarville directory, you will need to invite them by email
- Click the dropdown arrow on the Chat gadget.
- Choose "Add contact" from the resulting menu.
- Type the email address in to the text box.
- Click [Send Invites].
When you have an invitation to chat, a notification will appear in your Chat gadget. Click [yes] to approve it. That person will automatically be added to your Chat list, and you can begin messaging. Click [no] if you do not want to accept the invitation.
- In the Chat gadget, click on the name of the person you would like to chat with (the Chat window will open).
- Click in the text box and type your message.
- Press [Enter].
You can click the pop-out arrow (located in the upper right-hand corner of the Chat window) if you would like to have the gadget outside of your Google Mail window.
- In the Chrome browser, type chrome.google.com/webstore in to the navigation bar and press [Enter].
- Type "Chat" in the "Search the store" bar > Press [Enter].
- Click the [Add to Chrome] button next to the "Chat for Google" extension (a separate window will open).
- Click [Add].
To use Chat without opening your Google Mail
- Click the "Chat for Google" icon on the Windows toolbar. It is located in the bottom right-hand corner of your computer screen. The icon will be gray if your are not logged in. You may need to click the arrow to display the icon.
- Click "Sign In."
- Type in your "Email" and "Password."
- Click [Sign in] (the Chat window will open, and you can begin messaging).
If you do not sign out of your Google account, Chat should start every time that you log in to your computer. You will see a "Chat for Google Now running..." bubble in the right-hand corner of your screen after you log in. You can click on the "Chat for Google" icon to open the chat gadget. If you do sign out, simply log in by following the above steps. The extension is also machine specific, so you will need to enable the extension on every computer on which you would want to use it.
Keywords: instant messenger, instant messeger, chat, message, Google