XIDONG CHEN, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Science and Mathematics
251 N Main Street
Cedarville, Ohio 45314
Office: ENS 237
Phone: (937) 766-3236
Ph.D., Solid State Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997.
Courses taught: PHYS 2110 General Physics I, PHYS 2120 General Physics II, PHYS 2130 General Physics III, PHYS 3110 Intermediate Physics Lab, PHYS 3350 Thermal Physics, PHYS 4110 Advanced Physics Lab, PHYS 4210 Math Methods for Physicists, PHYS 4530 Quantum Mechanics II, PHYS 4550 Solid State Physics.
- Medium-range order in amorphous materials, such as amorphous tetrahedral diamond-like carbon films, aluminum oxides, high-k and low-k dielectric oxides.
- Fluctuation microscopy and beyond, statistical theory of correlations of stochastic variables
- Roughness and roughening, surface and interface growth.
Selected Publications :
- A. C. Y. Liu, Xidong Chen, D.-Y. Choi, and B. Luther-Davies, “Annealing-induced reduction in nanoscale heterogeneity of thermally evaporated amorphous As2S3 films”, J. Appl. Phys. 104, 093524 (2008).
- Guangwen Zhou, Xidong Chen, David Gallagher, and Judith C. Yang, “Percolating oxide film growth during Cu(111) oxidation” Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 123104 (2008)
- A. C. Y. Liu, R. Arenal and Xidong Chen, “Clustering in a highly hydrogenated diamondlike carbon determined using fluctuation microscopy”, Phys. Rev. B 76, 121401(R) (2007)
- A. C. Y. Liu, R. Arenal, D. J. Miller, Xidong Chen, J. A. Johnson “Structural order in near-frictionless hydrogenated diamondlike carbon films probed at three length scales via transmission electron microscopy”, Phys. Rev. B 75, 205402 (2007)
- Xidong Chen, John Sullivan, Tom Friedmann, and J. Murray Gibson, “Fluctuation microscopy studies of medium-range ordering in amorphous diamond-like carbon films” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, pp. 2823, 2004
- Jacqueline A Johnson, John B Woodford, Xidong Chen, Joakim Anderson, Ali Erdemir, and George R Fenske, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 95 pp. 7765, 2004.
- Xidong Chen and J. Murray Gibson, “Effect of post-oxidation annealing on Si/SiO2 interface roughness”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 146, pp. 3032, August 1999.
- Xidong Chen and J. Murray Gibson, “Roughness at Si/SiO2 interfaces and silicon oxidation”, Journal of Vacuum Sciences and Technology A, Vol. 17, pp. 1269, Jul/Aug 1999.
- Xidong Chen and J. Murray Gibson, “Experimental evidence of a Gaussian roughness at Si(111)/SiO2 interfaces”, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 81, pp. 4919, November 1998.
- Xidong Chen and J. Murray Gibson, “Dramatic effect of post-oxidation annealing on (100) Si/SiO2 roughness”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 70, pp. 1462, March 1997.
- Xidong Chen and J. Murray Gibson, “Measurement of roughness at buried Si/SiO2 interfaces by transmission electron diffraction”, Physical Review B, Vol. 54, pp. 2846, July 1996.
- Member of American Physical Society
- Member of Materials Research Society
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science