Jeff Gilbert, M.A.Assistant Professor of Journalism
Mr. Gilbert, a 22-year newspaper veteran, focuses on developing multiskilled journalists in traditional and digital newsgathering and news presentation. As the adviser for the student newspaper and website Cedars, he teaches editors to lead and tell stories that are relevant to students. The staff won the Ohio Newspaper Association General Excellence Award as the state’s best college paper in its division for 2012, 2013, and 2014 and placed second in a national competition. The staff has also earned numerous other regional and national awards for writing, photography, and multimedia. He has been a presenter at the College Media Association annual spring convention. His freelance work includes sports and business reporting for local newspapers and other topics for various publications.
Education and Credentials
- M.A. in Journalism, Regent University
- B.A. in Broadcasting, Cedarville University
- Favorite places to go: Florida; restaurants where the locals go; basketball, football, and baseball games; school plays and musicals; any public event in Cedarville; golf courses
- Hobbies and interests: Sports, high school golf coach, seventh-grade boys basketball coach, reading sports nonfiction and memoirs, television, Twitter, writing
- Church: Serving as a small-group leader; helping and supporting media needs
- Family: Two daughters are Cedarville graduates and a third soon will be; I like to travel and spend time with my wife, who also works at the university
- Why Cedarville: I graduated from Cedarville in 1987, so this has always been my school. When the journalism program began in 2009, I was blessed to be given the opportunity to return home and join with others in building the program. I love working alongside my students because we are all in this together. As I train them to be good journalists and encourage them to be servant leaders, I receive great encouragement from them.