- Apply Now
- Majors and Minors
- Field Experiences
- Faculty and Staff
- Contact Us
- Chi Delta Epsilon
- Cost and Financial Aid
- Visit Campus
All undergraduate programs within the School of Education are NCATE accredited.
Ruth Sylvester, Ph.D.Assistant Dean, Associate Professor of Education
Dr. Sylvester teaches undergraduate and graduate literacy courses. As a certified elementary teacher, she taught fifth grade for many years prior to several years as an assistant principal for curriculum and instruction. Prior to coming to Cedarville, Dr. Sylvester taught at Southeastern University and at the University of South Florida. Her research focuses on struggling writers and the use of multimedia composing as an agent for motivating them. She also has studied the coping behaviors of parents whose children struggle with reading. She is currently examining preservice teachers’ visual representation of proportional thinking. Dr. Sylvester is also collaborating with undergraduate students at Cedarville on a project that employs children’s literature as a catalyst for introducing engineering concepts to elementary students.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Literacy, University of South Florida
- M.A., University of South Florida
- B.S., Tennessee Temple University
- Favorite places to visit: I enjoy traveling to many exciting places, but my favorites are the gulf coast beaches in Florida and our family cottage in New Harbor, Maine.
- Hobbies: Traveling, walking, hiking, reading, cooking, gardening, beachcombing (in Florida and Maine), and meeting new people
- Why Cedarville: I am excited about teaching in a small liberal arts college where Jesus is central and where the focus is to “inspire greatness” among the students, staff, and faculty.