Jeff Bates, R.Ph., Pharm.D.Associate Dean, Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Joining Cedarville University’s School of Pharmacy as Associate Dean, Dr. Bates helps to ensure that students achieve the highest levels of success, both in their pharmacy studies as well as in their subsequent careers. His role guides future pharmacists from the early stages of recruitment all the way through fostered involvement as alumni. Prior to joining Cedarville, Dr. Bates served at Ferris State University’s College of Pharmacy as Assistant Dean and Director of Student Success. While at Ferris, he founded a pharmacy care clinic in 2013. Located inside Ferris’ College of Pharmacy, students regularly honed their clinical skills, assuring comprehensive care to underserved patients in and around Mecosta County. He also shared clinical responsibilities in an Interdisciplinary Diabetes Clinic, facilitating experiential and inter-professional learning for pharmacy, optometry, and nursing students. Most of his classroom energies have centered on teaching Clinical Communication Skills, Self-Care and Over-the-Counter Medication Therapeutics, Care of Geriatric Patients, Practice Skills, and Academic Pharmacy. Dr. Bates is privileged to have received more than $130,000 in grants and has been an invited lecturer many times on both state and national platforms. Further, he has helped lead a number of nonprofit organizations, serving on the Board of Directors for the Michigan Pharmacists Association, Hope House Free Medical Clinic, as well as for Cran Hill Ministries.
Education and Credentials
- Pharm.D., Ferris State University
- B.S.Pharm, Ferris State University
- A.S., Ferris State University
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist
- Certificates: Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery, Pharmacist & Patient Centered Diabetes, American Heart Association Basic Life-Support
- Licensed Pharmacist: Michigan, Ohio (pending)
- Are You Ready to Rummmble? Harnessing Conflict to Assure Excellent Care in Pharmacy Practice Environments
- Empathy: Assuring Great Care by Focusing on Others
- Favorite places to visit: The beaches and mountains of North Carolina and California, West Michigan, the solitude of a deer blind, Any restaurant with excellent Mexican food
- Hobbies: Sharing the love of Christ through music (especially with my amazingly gifted wife!), hunting, golfing, building/finishing houses, riding motorcycles
- Interests: Foster care and adoption support; ensuring exceptional respect, care, and support for the less fortunate in our local communities
- Why I'm at Cedarville: God’s calling has been obvious and powerful. Cedarville provides a fantastic environment in which to model holistic care, marrying healthcare with The Gospel. On a daily basis, we are privileged to disciple future pharmacists, actively pointing patients toward physical health, which is coupled with an eternal perspective.