Mark Gathany, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
Dr. Gathany teaches General and Advanced Ecology, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Environmental Ethics. He also conducts research with undergraduate students investigating all things "ecological" ranging from forest ecology, fire, and land use. He is the campus representative to Au Sable Institute and serves as the faculty advisor to the student environmental organization, Pro Terra Forma. In the summer months he serves on the faculty of the Au Sable Institute. Through these organizations and personally, he enjoys encouraging environmental stewardship and reconciliation on campus and within the community.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Ecology, Colorado State University
- M.S. in Environmental Studies with a Certificate in Conservation Biology, Ohio University
- B.S. in Science Education and General Science, Grace College
- Favorite places to visit: Our family loves to visit new places. In particular we enjoying skiing in Colorado and hanging out at the beach.
- Hobbies: Outside of work I enjoy camping, hiking, and playing and coaching sports. Recently I have developed a mild addiction to disc golf and had the opportunity to help develop a course on our campus.
- Why I’m at Cedarville: I have chosen to work at Cedarville because of the opportunities that it gives me to pursue academic excellence in my discipline while embracing and spreading the Gospel by living a Christ-filled life.