Mr. Gilbert, 22-year newspaper veteran, focuses on developing multiskilled journalists in the traditional and digital newsgathering and news presentation industry. As the adviser for the student newspaper and website Cedars, he teaches editors to lead and tell stories that are relevant to students. The staff won the Ohio Newspaper Association General Excellence Award as the state’s best college paper in its division for 2012 and 2013 and placed second in a national competition. He has been a presenter at the College Media Association annual spring convention and writes extensively as a freelance sports reporter for local newspapers.
Education and Credentials
- B.A., Cedarville University in Broadcasting
- Favorite places to go: Florida; restaurants where the locals go; basketball, football, and baseball games; school plays and musicals; any public event in Cedarville; golf courses
- Hobbies and interests: Sports, high school golf coach, reading sports nonfiction and memoirs, television, Twitter, writing
- Why Cedarville: : I graduated from Cedarville in 1987, so this has always been my school. When the journalism program began in 2009, I was blessed to be given the opportunity to return home and join with others in building the program. I love working alongside my students because we are all in this together. As I train them to be good journalists and encourage them to be servant leaders, I receive great encouragement from them.
- Convergent News Media
- Digital Newsgathering Methods
- Student Media