What is Interlibrary Loan?
Cedarville University is a member of OCLC, an information-sharing network of libraries. Interlibrary Loan is a cooperative borrowing and lending service among these libraries.
Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
The Interlibrary Loan service is available to all Cedarville University students, faculty, and staff.
How do I use Interlibrary Loan?
- Check the library catalog first to see if the library owns what you need. You may not order through ILL if the library already owns the materials, even if they are currently checked out.
- Completely fill out the appropriate Interlibrary Loan form.
- Make sure that you enter the full title of the publication when requesting periodical articles.
- Requests are limited to ten per patron per week.
- Copyright law limits the number of photocopied articles that can be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan per title per year. Once we have reached our limit, we will refer you to other libraries to find the periodical.
How much does it cost?
If you order a book, there is usually no charge. When ordering periodical articles, the library makes every effort to borrow from libraries which do not charge photocopying fees. You will have the option on the form to select a price range.
How long does Interlibrary Loan take?
The average time is five days, though some requests take longer. Service is interrupted for Sundays, breaks, and holidays.
How will I be notified when my materials come in?
When your Interlibrary Loan arrives you will be notified by email. Electronic copies of articles may be delivered to your email account.
Where do I pick up materials?
When there is no charge for photocopied articles, they will be sent through campus mail. Books and materials with charges may be picked up at the Service Desk.
What materials are generally NOT available?
- Anything already in our collection
- Anything available through OhioLINK
- Reference books
- Rare, fragile, or valuable items
- Theses or dissertations
- Multi-volume sets
- Complete issues or volumes of periodicals
- Microfiche, microfilm, and sound and video recordings
May I renew my interlibrary loan materials?
Yes. Renewal requests must be made at least four business days before the due date. The lending library decides whether or not to renew the material and for how long. Renewal requests can be made through the ILL Renewal Request form.
Where do I return my Interlibrary Loan materials?
Materials should be returned to the Service Desk
Using Interlibrary Loan
This short video covers the basics on requesting items through Interlibrary Loan