Cedarville University Pastors Conference with 9Marks
Cedarville University and 9Marks Ministries are pleased to present:
A Healthy Understanding of Biblical Theology
Biblical Theology: What is it? Why is it important? Save the date for the Cedarville University Pastors Conference with 9Marks as we answer these questions on October 23–24, 2017.
The speakers for our 2017 conference include Jim Hamilton, Professor of Biblical Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary; Garrett Kell, Lead Pastor of Del Ray Baptist Church; Jonathan Leeman, Editorial Director of 9Marks and Elder at Capitol Hill Baptist Church; Shai Linne, Recording Artist and Church Planter at Risen Christ Fellowship; and Mike MicKinley, Senior Pastor of Sterling Park Baptist Church. They will be joined by Cedarville’s Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs and Associate Professor of Old Testament, Randy McKinion, and the Dean of the Cedarville University School of Biblical and Theological Studies, Jason Lee. Join with 300 other pastors and ministry leaders as we study and explore this foundation for a healthy local church. Register today, space is limited!
Professor of Biblical Theology
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Del Ray Baptist Church
Dean, School of Biblical and Theological Studies
Elder, Editorial Director of 9Marks
Capitol Hill Baptist Church
Recording artist and church planter
Risen Christ Fellowship
Assistant Dean, Graduate Programs
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Sterling Park Baptist Church
Who: For Pastors, Elders, Deacons and Church Ministry Leaders seeking to have a church with a biblical understanding of the gospel and its implications for ministry and outreach.
When: October 23–24, 2017 — Registration starts at 8 a.m. in the Stevens Student Center Lobby
Where: Cedarville University — Sessions will be located in our Event Rooms in the Stevens Student Center and our Jeremiah Chapel in the Dixon Ministry Center.
- Early Bird Registration through September 15: $65
- Regular Registration from September 16 through October 16: $80
- Alumni Registration: $60
- Student Registration: $20
Registration fee includes coffee breaks, lunch and conference materials.
9Marks of a Healthy Church
The 9Marks of a Healthy Church:
- Expositional Preaching: An expositional sermon takes the main point of a passage of Scripture, makes it the main point of the sermon, and applies it to life today.
- Biblical Theology: Biblical theology is sound doctrine; it is right thoughts about God; it is belief that accords with Scripture.
- A Biblical Understanding of the Gospel: A biblical understanding of the gospel is important because the gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, and it is the only way for sinful people to be reconciled to a holy God.
- A Biblical Understanding of Conversion: A biblical understanding of conversion recognizes both what God does and what people do in salvation.
- A Biblical Understanding of Evangelism: Evangelism is simply telling non-Christians the good news about what Jesus Christ has done to save sinners.
- Biblical Church Membership: According to the Bible, church membership is a commitment every Christian should make to attend, love, serve, and submit to a local church.
- Biblical Church Discipline: In the broadest sense, church discipline is everything the church does to help its members pursue holiness and fight sin. Preaching, teaching, prayer, corporate worship, accountability relationships, and godly oversight by pastors and elders are all forms of discipline.
- Biblical Discipleship and Growth: Scripture teaches that a live Christian is a growing Christian (2 Pet. 1:8–10). Scripture also teaches that we grow not only by instruction, but by imitation (1 Cor. 4:16; 11:1). Therefore churches should exhort their members to both grow in holiness and help others do the same.
- Biblical Church Leadership: The Bible teaches that each local church should be led by a plurality of godly, qualified men called elders.
Conference Mission Statement
Through biblical teaching and fellowship, the Cedarville University Pastors Conference with 9Marks will challenge, strengthen, and encourage ministry leaders as they serve their church and community.
9Marks exists to equip church leaders with a biblical vision and practical resources for displaying God’s glory to the nations through healthy churches.
Monday, October 23
8–8:45 a.m. - (Stevens Student Center ‘SSC’ Front Lobby)
Coffee Reception Sponsored by Church Relations
What is Biblical Theology?
9–9:50 a.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre) - Randy McKinion
From definitions and implications, if you’ve never really thought about this topic, what is it, why is it important?
Why is Biblical Theology Important?
10–10:50 a.m. - (Jeremiah Chapel) - Shai Linne
How does it guard you from false teaching? How should it affect the way you select a church or read the Bible?
Biblical Theology and the Psalms: Songs of Praise that Tell the Story?
11:10 a.m.–12 p.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre) - Jim Hamilton
How the Psalms retell the past, praise God in the present, and predict the future?
Special Bonus Lunch Session, “Thriving or Surviving in the Ministry”
12:15–1:15 p.m. - (SSC Event Rooms) - Kell, Hamilton, McKinley
Compliments of Cedarville University (pre-registration required)
Biblical Theology and the Mission of the Church
2–2:50 p.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre) - Jonathan Leeman
How does biblical theology clarify what the church is and what it is supposed to be doing?
Biblical Theology in Preaching and Discipling
3:10–4 p.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre) - Mike McKinley
How does biblical theology affect the sermons and daily discipling of the church?
Optional BBQ Dinner with conference attendees
5–6 p.m. - (SSC Event Rooms)
Pre-registration is required
Hip-hop, Theology and Cultural Engagement – A Night with Shai Linne
6:45–7:45 p.m. - (Stinger’s)
Tuesday, October 24
8–8:50 a.m. - (Stevens Student Center ‘SSC’ Front Lobby)
Coffee Reception Sponsored by Church Relations
Biblical Theology and the Reformation
9–9:50 a.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre) - Jason Lee
Is Justification by Faith Alone Taught Throughout the Bible?
Biblical Theology, Genesis to Revelation
10–10:50 a.m. - (Jeremiah Chapel) - Garrett Kell
How the Bible’s big story unfolds throughout biblical theology and helps you understand its unified message.
11–11:50 a.m. - (SSC Devries Theatre)
Q and A with All Speakers
For additional information about Cedarville University Pastors Conference, please contact Loren Kuhn.
251 North Main Street
Cedarville, OH 45314