Continuing Education Workshop
Standing at the Epicenter of the Opioid Epidemic
Approved for 6 CEU's (includes 3 for Ethics) for Social Workers, Counselors, and Marriage and Family Therapists.
Approved for 6 CEU's (includes 3 for Ethics) for Chemical Dependency Counselors
Presented from a Christian perspective, this workshop will detail the process of addiction, different treatment options, a brief history of drug policy, medication assisted therapy, and the use of naloxone as an emergency, life-saving intervention. The training will also address ethical issues related to drug abuse treatment.
As a result of this training participants will:
- Increase understanding of the history of US drug policy and how this has effected perception and practice
- Develop a thorough understanding of the addiction process, including the action of pleasure and addiction
- Gain knowledge regarding the mechanism of action for opioid agents
- Be able to detail the ethical considerations specific to opioid addiction including the individual, system, and societal value of substance abuse treatment
- Gain an awareness of the different treatment options for opioid addiction, including medication assisted treatment
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of opioid overdose and understand the use of Narcan for opioid overdose reversal