For the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

MEd Tuition Discount
Classes are forming today. Begin your application.

This FAQ page answers some of the questions frequently posed by educators as they consider the Master of Education (M.Ed.) program at Cedarville University. The following categories and questions are provided to assist you on your academic journey.

What are the admission requirements for the M.Ed. program?

Cedarville University invites applications from educators who have a testimony of faith in Jesus Christ. Applicants who meet this criteria and present satisfactory evidence of their ability to perform at the graduate level are admitted to the graduate education program. For additional admission criteria, view the M.Ed. admission requirements.

How often are students admitted into the program?

Students are admitted into the program for fall, spring, and summer terms and may begin courses according to the completion options.

How do I apply for admission to the M.Ed. program?

Visit the M.Ed. online application to begin or continue your application.

Do I need to submit my Cedarville University (or Cedarville College) transcripts?

No, we will request your Cedarville transcripts from the Office of the Registrar.

Is there an application deadline?

No. However, an admission decision deadline exists to help ensure you have a successful start for your online courses. View Deadlines for more information.

Is the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required for admission into the M.Ed. program?

The GRE is not required for applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher.  

What if my undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0?

We seek applicants with strong academic and professional backgrounds. Applicants with less than a 3.0 GPA are still invited to submit an application. However, an additional admission requirement will be to submit your GRE score within the last five years.

Is an interview required?


Are there any prerequisites required for admission into the M.Ed. program?

Yes. The requirement is a baccalaureate (bachelor's) degree.  Teachers who hold or have held a current teaching license are preferred. However, applicants who do not have a teaching license but satisfy the M.Ed. admission requirements, may be conditionally admitted into the M.Ed. program.

One of our goals is for you to be equipped from a distinctly Christian perspective. As such, we desire that students have some academic credit in Bible to serve as a foundation for biblical integration. Please contact us or request program information so we can evaluate your academic transcripts and determine whether any prerequisites are required.

What does conditional admission mean?

A conditionally admitted student can enroll in courses and is permitted to take up to 11 credit hours before the admission conditions must be completed. Upon satisfaction of the admission conditions, the student will be moved to regular admission. Each application will be reviewed on an individual basis before an admission decision is provided. Please contact us with additional questions.

Can I transfer graduate credits into the M.Ed. program?

Yes, up to 11 credits are permitted to be transferred into the M.Ed. program. Transferred courses may not exceed the age limit of five years. Be sure to submit any transcripts you'd like to be evaluated as transfer credit with your admission application.

Is financial aid available for M.Ed. students?

Yes. Graduate students fund their education in various ways. Students can find assistance through scholarships, grants, and loans. Information about these options may be found on the costs and financial aid page.

In addition, many employers provide a tuition assistance program as a benefit to their employees who are pursuing graduate coursework or degrees. Students are encouraged to contact the appropriate personnel at their place of employment for details about their employer's tuition assistance program.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students applying for federal financial aid should complete the FAFSA. For additional information, view the loans page. Students applying for scholarships and grants will find various options available.

How many credits do I need to take per semester to be considered a full-time student?

Students enrolled for eight or more credits per semester are considered full-time. Students enrolled for less than eight credits per semester are considered part-time.

How many credits do I need to take per semester to be eligible for federal financial aid?

Students must be enrolled at least half-time status (four or more credits per semester) to be eligible for federal financial aid.

What is the tuition rate for the M.Ed. program?

Cedarville University is committed to offering the M.Ed. program at a cost that is affordable and competitive with programs of similar quality and reputation. More information on the cost of graduate tuition is included on the costs and financial aid page.

How do I pay for my classes?

View payment and account balances for more information.

Is Cedarville's M.Ed. program accredited?

Yes. View the Cedarville University accreditation pages for more information. In addition to the University accreditation, the School of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP).

Is the M.Ed. program a fully online program?

Yes. View the completion options for more information. There are no residency requirements to complete your M.Ed. degree.

How long does it take to complete the M.Ed. program?

Students pursuing full-time coursework can complete the program in as little as two years. Students pursuing part-time coursework can complete the program in as little as three years. For more information, view the completion options.

Do I need a bachelor's degree in education to be admitted to the M.Ed. program?

No. A bachelor's degree in education is preferred. However, applicants with a bachelor's degree in another discipline, and who satisfy the M.Ed. admission requirements, may be conditionally admitted into the M.Ed. program.

What kind of learning experiences will I encounter in the M.Ed. program?

View the mission and objectives page for more information.

Will the M.Ed. program license me as a teacher?

No, this program is designed to assist previous or current licensed teachers with increasing their professional effectiveness. Although the M.Ed. program is a non-licensure program, many course requirements may satisfy requirements for teacher licensure. Most students already hold a teaching license, or they are not seeking licensure at all.

Who will my advisor be during the program?

Upon admission, you will be assigned a program advisor and a faculty advisor. Your program advisor assists in helping you with graduate processes (e.g., registration, course sequencing, etc.). Your faculty advisor provides career and course advice.

I am finishing my undergraduate education degree. Can I apply for the M.Ed. program?

Yes. You may apply during your senior year of your education program. Visit the M.Ed. online application to begin or continue your application.

Do I need teaching experience before I apply to the M.Ed. program?

No. While teaching experience is highly recommended, it is not required. Many graduate students teach at least part-time during the program so they can apply their class knowledge to real-world experiences. In addition, students who teach may be able to access tuition assistance benefits provided by their employer.

Can I work full-time while earning my M.Ed. degree?

Yes. Courses are conveniently scheduled for online completion during the year to allow educators to arrange their schedule for full- or part-time coursework.

View the completion options for cohort-based or individualized plans.

I have my education degree, but I haven't been working as an educator. Can I apply for the M.Ed. program?

Yes. Although some course assignments are best fulfilled within a school classroom, occasionally M.Ed. students have successfully completed their assignments after making arrangements for access to a regular classroom.

How long do I have to complete the degree?

You must complete all program requirements within seven years after beginning your course work. Students unable to complete the degree requirements within the allotted time may petition for an extension from the program director

Is a thesis or project required?

M.Ed. students may choose from either a thesis or applied research project. Students will work with their faculty advisor to guide them through the process.

Do I need to be admitted to take graduate classes at Cedarville?

Yes. To enroll in a class, either as a degree-seeking or nondegree-seeking student, you must be admitted to Cedarville through University Admissions before you can register for classes.

How do I register for classes?

All graduate course registrations are completed through the Office of the Registrar using a web-based interface called Student Planning. Reference Graduate and Adult Programs Registration for more information.

What classes should I take?

Consult with your program advisor for advice on degree planning. Upon admission into a graduate program, each student is assigned a program advisor.  Your program advisor provides guidance throughout the course of study.

View the graduate course schedules page for course offerings for your program.

When can I register for classes?

Graduate course schedules are provided by the Office of the Registrar and prepared prior to each graduate term. Registration begins in March for the summer and fall semesters and in October for the spring semester.

View the graduate course schedules page for course offerings for your program.

How do I search for classes in current and future terms?

View the graduate course schedules page for course offerings for your program.

How do I view my current class schedule?

Access Student Planning for your current class schedule.

How do I add or drop a class?

Access Student Planning for your current class schedule.

How do I register for a closed class?

A closed class requires permission from the course instructor. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Is there anything I need to do before the first day of classes?

Each student is strongly encouraged to review their class schedule for accuracy in Student Planning. Discuss any discrepancies immediately with your advisor or with the Office of the Registrar.

Where do I purchase my textbooks?

Textbooks may be purchased through the University Bookstore using Cedarville's Textbook Comparison, which provides pricing information for Cedarville options plus various other bookstores (e.g., Amazon,, etc.). This helps you make an informed decision to locate the best possible price.

Where is the Office of the Registrar?

The Office of the Registrar is located on the campus of Cedarville University in the lower level of the Stevens Student Center. View the campus map for more information.

Have more questions?

Please contact us in Graduate Admissions.