Application Instructions for Graduate Reading Endorsement Program
Go to Online Application
Cedarville University is a Christ-centered learning community equipping students for lifelong leadership and service through an education marked by excellence and grounded in biblical truth.
Cedarville University invites applications to the reading endorsement graduate non-degree program from graduates who have received a master’s or bachelor’s in education from a regionally accredited or otherwise approved university and/or who hold a current Ohio educator license. Additionally, applicants must meet the following prerequisites:
- Applicants hold the Adolescent/Young Adult (AYA), multi-age, or career technical license must have completed a prerequisite of nine credit hours of undergraduate or graduate level reading coursework before being admitted as well as a course in phonics.
- All other applicants must have completed the prerequisite twelve semester credit hours of undergraduate or graduate level reading sequence coursework before being admitted which includes one phonics course.
Applicants must also affirm their commitment to the Cedarville covenant and agree to abide by the graduate and adult student standards of conduct. Applicants should review the University’s doctrinal statement to understand our beliefs and Christian heritage, which serves as the foundation for our community.
Applicants who present satisfactory evidence of their ability to perform at the graduate level are admitted to this graduate endorsement program. Cedarville University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or disability.
The Admissions Committee and Director of University Admissions review the qualifications of each Reading Endorsement program applicant on an individual basis:
Application Review Documents
- Application for Admission: [Online] — Complete and submit the online application.
- Recommendations — Once your online application is complete, you can send your recommendation requests directly from the application system. Each request will include a link to an online recommendation form. If your recommenders have difficulty completing the online form, please use the PDF file linked to each form below.
- Church Leader — Have a leader at your church who is familiar with your testimony and spiritual development complete and return this form.
- Supervisor/Employer — Have your immediate supervisor complete and return this form. If not currently employed, have a former employer complete and return this form.
- Transcripts — Provide an official transcript from all previous universities or colleges attended.
- Writing Sample (within the application) — The essay section of this application will serve as a writing sample.
- Your writing sample should address your specific professional plans and career objectives.
- You should view this essay as an opportunity to analyze past professional developments and consider future contributions as a result of graduate education.
- Application Fee — Submit a $30 nonrefundable application fee. Send a check or money order made payable in U.S. dollars to Cedarville University.
- International Students — Additional information and requirements for international students are available here.
Other Factors Considered
- Computer Proficiency — Basic skills in the areas of email, Internet searches, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- If you are concerned about your level of computer skills, please discuss any questions you may have with your admissions counselor.
- Teaching Credentials – Applicants for the Reading Endorsement program should have a current Ohio educator license.
- Prerequisites – To be admitted to the Reading Endorsement program, applicants must meet one of the following prerequisites:
- Applicants who hold the Adolescent/Young Adult (AYA), multi-age, or career technical license must have completed a prerequisite of nine credit hours of undergraduate or graduate level reading coursework before being admitted as well as a course in phonics.
- All other applicants must have completed the prerequisite 12 semester credit hours of undergraduate or graduate level reading sequence coursework before being admitted which includes one phonics course.
We encourage you to apply early for graduate admission to Cedarville. As the applicant, you are responsible for gathering and submitting all the necessary documents required to complete your application. Your application will be processed and reviewed by the graduate admissions committee as soon as all of the materials are received.
In most cases you will be notified by letter within three weeks of the Admissions Committee's decision. However, some applications may need extended time for review or follow-up. If you have not heard within 30 days of submitting all the necessary documents, please contact us.