Cedarville University believes in and supports the ministry of local churches. We desire that each student find a Bible believing, gospel-centered local congregation by the end of their first semester in order to utilize their gifts and talents in service for the Lord. As a Christ-follower, it is important to maintain regular interaction with fellow believers (Hebrews 10:25), especially while away from home. As a student at Cedarville, you will have many opportunities to worship and grow spiritually, but none of these are intended to take the place of God’s design for the body of Christ meeting in local churches. This webpage is a resource to help you find a church.
Church Search Criteria
When searching for a church, be discerning. There are many good churches within a reasonable distance of Cedarville University that are eager to welcome you. Here are some criteria when selecting a church:
- Is the church committed to teaching of the Word of God in its services and small group ministries?
- Does the church maintain a high view of Scripture as the inspired, inerrant and infallible Word of God?
- Is the Word of God practiced faithfully in worship, preaching, mission and fellowship?
- Is there evidence that the community of believers in this church work together in love and enjoy each other’s fellowship?
- Is the worship music God-centered, express biblical truths and edifying?
- Does the church have a passion about sharing the gospel with the lost?
- Does the church offer opportunities for you to serve?
- Is the church's doctrinal position biblically sound?
- Would your parents/guardians and your home church affirm your choice?
- Do you have transportation? (CU students are a great ride-share option)
Student Involvement Fair
At the beginning of each school year in the fall semester, new and returning students are encouraged to attend the Student Involvement Fair. The Student Involvement Fair offers this event to area churches and ministries to present service opportunities and how students can be involved.
Find-A-Church (church search engine)
Students may also use “Find a Church,” a church search engine available on this page. You may search by city/state or zip code. The database of churches is not a recommended list, but simply a resource to help you find a church. We strongly advise that students check a church's website to determine what the church believes before attending. Also, feel free to talk with Cedarville faculty or staff for recommendations of where they attend church.
Need Additional Help Finding a Church?
The Church Relations staff is committed to helping students find a great church in which to attend and serve. Please feel free to contact us if you need additional help.
Their offices are located in the Dixon Ministry Center, DMC 176 and 177.
Each year in the fall, Church Relations sponsors Pastor Appreciation Days. Scriptures remind us that it is good to let those who minister to us as pastors and elders to let them know how much you appreciate their labor on your behalf (1 Thes. 5:12). During Pastor Appreciation we offer students faculty and staff a chance to write a note of encouragement and appreciation to their pastors. Church Relations mails these postcards to your pastor(s) at no cost. Watch for announcements on specific days.