Rushing students walking by the clock outside of the SSC


  1. Undergraduate Students
  2. Graduate Students
  3. Pharmacy Students
  4. Forms and Resources
  5. Self-Service Financial Aid (19-20 year)
  6. Contact Us

Direct Stafford Loan

Direct and FFEL (Federally Funded Educational Loan) Stafford Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. You can receive a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan for the same enrollment period.

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. You will not be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment. The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during the periods.

An unsubsidized loan in not awarded on the basis of need. You'll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. If you allow the interest to accumulate, it will be capitalized-that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan and additional interest will be based upon the higher amount.

*Cedarville awards $2625-5500, depending on grade level.  

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Generally, Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

Federal Perkins Loan

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Your school is your lender. The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by the school. You must repay this loan to your school.

*Cedarville awards 400-500 students typically at $1500.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need-that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs)-and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. An FSEOG doesn't have to be paid back.

*Cedarville typically awards $1000 in these grants.

Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

How much will I make?

Your Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

How will I be paid?

As an undergraduate, you'll be paid by the hour. No Federal Work-Study student may be paid by commission or fee. Your school must pay you at least once a month. Your school must pay you directly, unless you request that the school make payments to your bank account, or use the money to pay for your institutional charges such as tuition, fees, room and board.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you'll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or financial aid administrator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

Types of Employment

Regular Student Employment

Under this type of student employment, students are employed on campus and the employer bears 100% of the cost of the student's wages.

Federal Work Study Employment

The Federal Work Study Program is a federally funded student employment program. The federal support provides for 75% of the student's gross wages, while the employing department pays the remaining 25%. Eligibility to participate in the Federal Work Study Program is based on the student's financial need. Cedarville University's Financial Aid Office grants awards for the academic year.

Community Service Program

Non-profit agencies that have entered into a contractual relationship with Cedarville University may hire students who have Federal Work Study. The federal support provides 75% of the student's wages and the remaining 25% is paid by the non-profit agency. Under these contracts, the student's net earnings are limited to the amount specified as Federal Work Study employment in the financial aid package.


Verification is the process where the Financial Aid Office reviews an applicant's file to ensure that the applicant is receiving financial aid that he or she is truly eligible for. The Deparment of Education or the school may select a federal aid applicant's file to be verified. Cedarville requests that those students selected for verification submit a copy of both the parent and the student's signed federal tax returns and W-2's. Also, the student and parent are both required to complete and sign the verification worksheet. After all documents are submitted, your FAFSA application will be reviewed for accuracy. Your financial aid processing will be put on hold until verification is complete and your financial aid package may change as a result of verification.

Information taken from

If you are not able to find the term you are looking for, or feel that another topic should be added to this page, please let us know.