Completing the FAFSA
The Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)
The FSA ID is used to sign the FAFSA, and to also access other secure federal aid websites. Student FAFSA filers, as well as one parent of students who must report parental data on their FAFSA, need their own unique FSA ID.
- Carefully follow the instructions when creating or editing your FSA ID.
- Each FSA ID must be unique; thus, a different email address must be used when each family member creates their own FSA ID.
- URGENT 1: This is not a place where you want to have a typing error, especially when entering your Name (as it appears on your Social Security Card), Date of Birth and Social Security Number!
- URGENT 2: No one should ever create an FSA ID for another person (this is clearly stated in the FSA ID instructions)!
- Cedarville 'information page' with various links related to the FSA ID
- U.S. Department of Education "Home Room" blog - "Why Students and Parents Need to Create Their Own FSA IDs"
Completing the FAFSA
When you are unsure of how to answer a question on the FAFSA, there are two sources of additional guidance so that you can answer correctly:
- Within the "Online FAFSA," look to the "Helps and Hints" in the upper right corner (this is available for every question of the FAFSA)
- Completing the FAFSA Form — this instructional PDF document follows the Paper FAFSA numbering scheme. If you are completing the FAFSA online, the 'Helps and Hints' for each question asked will contain the Question Number cross-reference which can be used with these detailed instructions.
Pharmacy, MDiv and MMin Program Students - Guidance on Select FAFSA Questions
The following “help documents” provide guidance on specific FAFSA questions to assist students in completing the FAFSA accurately for each academic year of their program. These worksheets are available for the following programs:
- Pharmacy 3+4 Program – FAFSA 2019–20 Guidance
- MDiv 3+2 Program – FAFSA 2019–20 Guidance
- MMin 4+1 Program – FAFSA 2019–20 Guidance
FAFSA on the Web Worksheet
The FAFSA on the Web Worksheet is designed to provide a preview of the questions that you may be asked when you complete your online FAFSA. If you wish, you can complete this form and write additional notes to assist you when completing your FAFSA.
Instructions for using the Online FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Students and parents completing the FAFSA are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) after either the student or parents have officially submitted their IRS tax return. For help, view the Questions and Answers About the IRS DRT website.
Note: This tool is built into the Online FAFSA.
Tax Documents from Cedarville University
The accounting and finance office provides the following Tax Year Documents to students if they meet the criteria to receive the document:
These documents contain important information which may be needed to complete the FAFSA and/or an IRS tax return. Additionally, parents of students may also need information from these forms when preparing their own IRS tax return.
Note: Each Tax Document Section ends with information on which office to contact regarding that particular document.
Have a question or need help? Contact us!
- Phone: 937-766-7866