Nutrition is a science that examines the relationship between diet and health. Deficiencies, excesses, and imbalances in diet can produce negative impacts on health, which may lead to diseases. Many common diseases and their symptoms can often be prevented or alleviated with better nutrition. The science of nutrition attempts to understand how and why specific dietary aspects influence health.
Managing how much food you put on your plate is an important aspect of good nutrition.
Eating well involves simple guidelines. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for America suggests the following for healthy eating and living:
- Feel better today. Stay healthy tomorrow.
- Make smart choices from every food group.
- Mix-up your choices within each food group.
- Find your balance between food and physical activity.
- Get the most nutrition out of your calories.
- NUTRITION: To know the facts . . .use the label.
- Play it safe with food.
For more information and personalized food pyramid recommendations, check out the new USDA interactive Food Pyramid.