Cedarville University is committed to providing its faculty, staff, and students with an integrated, broadly-accessible information, voice, and video communications technology infrastructure so as to make information available to people who need it when they need it and where they need it. Information Technology exists to provide the computer-related resources necessary for fulfilling this institutional commitment to information delivery. In particular, the department strives to ensure a reliable network infrastructure, a dependable computing environment, essential help-desk services, and comprehensive information delivery.
The University's commitment to information delivery is intended to support (directly and indirectly) all of the institutional objectives, but is particularly relevant to the following objectives:
- To increase the student's awareness of the world of ideas and events which are influencing our contemporary culture, and to prepare the student to knowledgeably participate in our society.
- To provide sufficient opportunities for students to practice the skills of communication.
- To offer opportunities for academic specialization and preparation for graduate study, and to assist the student in selecting and preparing for a vocation.
The following goals are derived directly from the mission statement for the department:
- Assure that University personnel and students can access and maintain, through appropriate technology, the information necessary to fulfill their roles;
- Continually assess information technologies and seek to implement appropriate hardware and software that enhances individual and organizational effectiveness.
- Make available to personnel and students instruction and reinforcement in the use and application of information technologies;
- Foster an atmosphere that encourages responsible use of technology and maintains a sensitivity to technology's effects on its users and their environment.