Microsoft is giving students the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 at not cost. For more information visit the Windows 10 Upgrade promotional site.
"Office" Productivity Tools
If you are interested in obtaining Microsoft Office, there are various options you may want to consider:
- The Cedarville University Bookstore sells an academic-license ultimate or enterprise version available for both Windows and Macintosh (including installation CD) for about $30. This pricing is available to all degree-seeking CU students, faculty, and staff. The software can be run on one computer owned by the student and (if that computer is a desktop system) a "secondary portable device" used by that student. The software is not upgradeable. The ultimate/enterprise version includes:
- Many electronics stores (h.h.gregg, BestBuy, etc.) and online retailers (Amazon, Buy.com, etc.) sell a home/student version for around $100. This pricing is available to students and teachers (kingergarten through graduate school). The license can be run on up to three computers owned by the purchaser. The software is not upgradeable. The home/student is available for both Windows and Macintosh. This version contains:
- There are free or inexpensive alternatives to Microsoft Office:
- Open Office is an open-source package which includes components that mimic Microsoft Office. Open Office is free and can be downloaded from the Internet. See the Open Office website for more information.
- Star Office is a low-cost alternative produced by Sun. Star Office includes components similar to Microsoft Office. For details, see the Star Office web site.
- Microsoft occasionally runs a "direct to student" promotion. Web searching should help you find any current promotions.
Adobe has moved to the "Creative Cloud" method of licensing. Details on student pricing can be found at adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html
Logos Bible Study Software
Logos Research Systems is offering special pricing to Cedarville University students, faculty, and staff. Details are on this web site:
For other software, many vendors give faculty, staff, and students academic pricing on their products. Pricing changes too frequently to post here, but you can determine pricing by contacting one of the vendors below.
- Academic and Collegiate Software, Massachusetts, 800-429-1686
- Academic Super Store, Texas, 800-817-2347
- Campus Technology, Virginia, 800-543-8188
- Consistent Computer Bargains, Wisconsin, 800-342-4222
- JourneyEd.com, Texas, 800-874-9001
- Logos Research Systems (Bible software only), Washington, 800-875-6467