We offer online tutoring to nonresidential students throughout the year. However, we only offer this service during our evening hours. In fall and spring semesters, those hours run from 6–10 p.m. Sundays–Thursdays. During May Term and Summer Session, those hours run from 7–9 p.m. Mondays–Thursdays.
Therefore, if you are a nonresidential student seeking writing center assistance, you may access the writing center’s tutoring services through Google’s chat function called “The Hangouts.”
- Be sure your computer has a webcam and microphone. Most laptop computers have these built in, but not all desktop computers do.
- Go into your Google email account. Download ’The Hangout“ software (it’s free and fast), if you haven’t done so already.
- Make an appointment during our evening hours on our online appointment system.
Because the appointment system is set up to be self-managed and the writing center has no receptionist, please do not call or email the writing center staff.
Just use our easy-to-follow directions for creating and canceling your appointments.
- Specify in the “Comments” box on your appointment form that you want online tutoring. (If you do not do so during fall/spring semesters, the tutor has no way of knowing you need online tutoring and thus, will assume you’re coming in for a regular appointment.) The tutor will then initiate the call within 5 minutes of your appointment time.
Please be patient if a tutor doesn’t call you exactly on the hour or half hour. Sometimes the session prior to your appointment goes a little longer than usual. If you do not get a call within 5 minutes of your appointment time during fall/spring semesters, feel free to call the writing center’s phone at 937-766-3245. If no one answers the phone (because the tutors are tutoring!) or you’re a summer student having trouble connecting with your tutor, please email the tutor directly instead.
Some important policies for you to note:
- Familiarize yourself with our appointment policies, which include extended consultations for certain students.
- We cannot offer online tutoring in the afternoons or to students who live on campus. If you live on campus, plan to come to Tyler 104 to meet with your tutor. If you live off campus but are not available during our evening hours (e.g., because you live in a vastly different time zone or work in the evenings), please email your tutor at least 48 hours in advance of your desired appointment to see if you can arrange tutoring at a different time.
- Because the writing center employs CU students as tutors, it likewise follows the CU academic calendar; thus, when CU is on break and students leave campus, the writing center is closed. These breaks include Labor Day weekend as well as fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring, and Easter breaks. As a result, the online schedule will not have appointments available during those times.
- If you are a parent whose son or daughter has a writing center appointment online, you may not be present during or participate in online tutoring sessions. For more information, see our policies.