We offer online tutoring to nonresidential students throughout the year. We offer this service during all regular hours. In fall and spring semesters, nonresidential students may book online appointments during all business hours (Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-5 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30-5 p.m. and 6-8 p.m., Fridays 1-5 p.m., and Sundays 4-8 p.m.). During Summer Session, those hours run from 7–9 p.m. Mondays–Thursdays. However, due to lack of demand, we are closed during May Term.
Therefore, if you are a nonresidential student seeking Writing Center assistance, you may access the Writing Center’s tutoring services online through our scheduling system.
- Be sure your computer has a webcam and microphone. Most laptop computers have these built in, but not all desktop computers do. Please also have a copy of your paper available as a Word document or accessible through Google Docs so you can share it with your tutor.
- Make an appointment during our evening hours on our online appointment system.
Because the appointment system is set up to be self-managed, please do not call or email the Writing Center staff. Just use our easy-to-follow directions for creating and canceling your appointments.
- Five to ten minutes before your appointment, return to our schedule and click on your appointment. From there, you can click 'Start or Join Online Consultation.'
Please be patient if a tutor doesn’t call you exactly on the hour or half hour. Sometimes the session prior to your appointment goes a little longer than usual. If you do not get a call within 5 minutes of your appointment time during fall/spring semesters, feel free to call the Writing Center’s phone at 937‑766‑3245. If no one answers the phone (because the tutors are tutoring!) or you’re a summer student having trouble connecting with your tutor, please email the tutor directly instead.
Some important policies for you to note:
- Familiarize yourself with our appointment policies, which include extended consultations for certain students.
- We cannot offer online tutoring to students who live on campus. If you live on campus, plan to come to Tyler 104 to meet with your tutor. If you live off campus but are not available during our evening hours (e.g., because you live in a vastly different time zone or work in the evenings), please email your tutor at least 48 hours in advance of your desired appointment to see if you can arrange tutoring at a different time.
- Because the Writing Center employs CU students as tutors, it likewise follows the CU academic calendar; thus, when CU is on break and students leave campus, the Writing Center is closed. These breaks include Labor Day weekend as well as fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring, and Easter breaks. As a result, the online schedule will not have appointments available during those times.