Marc Sweeney, R.Ph., Pharm.D.Dean, Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Sweeney is the Founding Dean of the School of Pharmacy at Cedarville University. He successfully recruited the entire faculty and staff for the School as he led his team to develop a fully accredited school of pharmacy. He was instrumental in recruiting students, establishing a network of partners, and fundraising for the School. He contributed to the award-winning design of the Health Sciences Center, which houses the School of Pharmacy. Dr. Sweeney and his team created a unique, Christ-centered school of pharmacy for the purposes of serving God and people. Prior to starting the School of Pharmacy, he was part of the team that started The University of Findlay College of Pharmacy and founded its Department of Pharmacy Practice. He has also served on the faculty and leadership at Ohio Northern University Raabe College of Pharmacy. He taught both medical students and family medicine residents as a clinical faculty member for Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine. During his academic career he has participated in raising several million dollars through advancement initiatives.
In addition to an extensive academic background, he also has experience in many areas of practice including community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, ambulatory care, homecare/home infusion, hospice and palliative care, pain management, and long term care. He developed the first clinical pharmacy position in Doctors Hospital OhioHealth Family Medicine Residency Program and several pharmacy residency and fellowship programs. He has served as the President and Board Member of the Ohio Pharmacists Association, Board Member of the Ohio Chapter of the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists, and has won more than 25 awards during his career.
Throughout his professional career, he has provided many professional presentations, published several articles and book chapters, and has collaborated to obtain several hundred thousand dollars in research grants.Media Expertise
Education and Credentials
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), The Ohio State University
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.), Southwest Bible College and Seminary
- B.S. in Pharmacy (B.S. Pharm), Ohio Northern University
- Fellowship in Academic Leadership, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Board Certification: Medical Affairs Specialist (BCMAS) Certifications: Pharmacogenomics, Immunization Therapy, Palliative Care and Pain Management
- Palliative Care (Kelly R. Kroustos and Marc A. Sweeney) Pharmacy Practice Faculty Publications (2019)
- Evaluation of opioid prescribing of commercial payer patients. American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, Midyear Clinical Meeting. (Abstract) (2017)
- Para-curricular program to improve academic skills for ESL students in a team-based learning curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education; 80(5):Article S2. (2016)
- Demystifying advocacy: moving faculty and students toward citizen engagement. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education; 80 (9) Article S17. (2016)
- Pharmacy and faith can intersect. Christianity and Pharmacy;14:6-9. (2016)
- Interests: Running, biking, hiking, playing piano, traveling
- Why I'm at Cedarville: God brought me here to build the School of Pharmacy for His glory.
Checks and Balances
Dr. Marc Sweeney discusses the healthcare system in Ohio.