Updates to Our Campus Community
COVID-19 Update (September 3, 2021)
We are grateful that we are beginning to see COVID-19 cases decrease on campus, but we still have work to do! Given the current counts, we will end the flexible format period that began on August 26, but will continue to observe enhanced protocols for a two-week period (through September 19) as we all return to on-campus learning.
From now through September 19, we will observe the following protocols. These temporary changes to the regular 2021-22 COVID-19 Operating Plan are also noted below:
- Students will be required to wear a mask in class.
- Remote access is available only to those who are in quarantine or isolation and those who are not feeling well.
- Faculty members who have health concerns may choose to hold classes online and will communicate information about how to participate virtually to their students.
- Chapel will be required on an honor system. Those who do not attend in person should watch online.
- In-person attendance for chapel will be limited to a 50% capacity to allow for distancing.
- Masks are required while entering and exiting and during worship but may be removed during the message.
Isolation and Quarantine
- Carefully review updated guidelines.
- Isolated students are expected to notify their close contacts.
- Students wearing a mask at the time of exposure will not have to quarantine. Students who are fully vaccinated or have had COVID in the past 90 days do not need to quarantine.
- Masks are required in classes and chapel as stated above.
- Masks are strongly encouraged in public indoor spaces.
- Masks are not required within a student’s residence hall.
- We will act in accordance with Philippians 2 and respect one another’s choices about masks. We will not divide or create pressure, providing space for individual health decisions.
- Dining location hours may be adjusted based on workforce availability. Pioneer is currently hiring, and we encourage students to apply.
For students who have been studying remotely during this flexible format period, if you are currently sick, please remain at home until you are fully recovered. Please notify UMS at firstname.lastname@example.org and contact your RD to discuss your return-to-campus plans. Also, if you’ve been sick for 7 days and don’t feel like you are improving, call UMS at 937-766-7862 to schedule an appointment to be seen by a medical provider.Our goal is to provide the best possible on-campus experience for education and discipleship given the current COVID-19 situation. As we navigate this challenge, our leadership team is seeking the Lord for wisdom, regularly reviewing data, and consulting with our medical experts. Please continue to pray and care well for one another and take personal responsibility for your health. We look forward to being all back together on campus on Tuesday!
COVID-19 Update (August 27, 2021)
Reminders for the Weekend
As we head into the weekend, here are a few important reminders:
- UMS is closed on Saturday and Sunday. If you have a medical emergency, please contact 911. For other health concerns, please consult with a local urgent care. UMS will resume normal operations on Monday at 8:30 a.m.
- If you need a COVID test, please visit Cedar Care Village Pharmacy. They are offering special testing hours from 9 a.m. –1 p.m. on Saturday and 1–5 p.m. on Sunday. Use these special links to sign up for testing on Saturday and Sunday — free for Cedarville faculty, staff, and students. You may also visit another area testing center. In the event of a positive test result over the weekend, please notify your Resident Director for isolation instructions.
- Recognizing the spread on campus, please care well for others this weekend, and stay close to home. Use wisdom and personal responsibility, and consider taking advantage of virtual opportunities for worship this Sunday.
Release From Quarantine
You can be released from quarantine on Day 5 after exposure with a confirmed negative COVID test. There is no need to notify UMS during this flexible format period. Please use personal responsibility as you adhere to these quarantine release procedures.
COVID-19 Isolation Instructions
Due to the rapid pace that events have unfolded this week, University Medical Services has created helpful isolation instructions for the campus community. Please review if you have either tested positive for COVID or are experiencing symptoms at this time. If you are tested off-site and are positive for COVID, email the test result to email@example.com to initiate the isolation protocols.
Next week, starting Monday, August 30, we will begin offering livestreamed chapel devotions at 10 a.m. via Facebook Live, Chapel Live, YouTube Live, or the Chapel+ app. Join in to hear encouragement from God’s Word led by Dr. White on Monday and other Bible faculty members through the remainder of the week.
Stinger's will be closed through Labor Day (Monday, September 6). The table seating area will be available as normal.
COVID-19 Update (August 25, 2021 - 7:30 p.m.)
During this season of increasing spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant on our campus and throughout our region, Cedarville University is announcing additional actions to continue caring wisely for the health and well-being of our community. These additional actions will be effective immediately and continue through Monday, September 6. The Flexible Format class option will begin on Friday, August 27. We plan to return to our normal schedule on Tuesday, September 7, Lord willing.
While all University operations will be maintained to serve and educate students, the flexible approach outlined below provides additional options to students to care for their personal health needs during this season:
- Academic Coursework – Where possible, classes will provide a remote delivery option for students who choose to go home or are unable to attend class at this time. Professors will provide instructions via either their Canvas courses or by email on their course delivery plans.
- University Services – All University services will be open and available to serve students (e.g., dining facilities, library, fitness center, outdoor sporting events, etc.).
- COVID Protocols – During this flexible format time period, masks will be required in all indoor public spaces, and social distancing is also required where possible. Masks are available at the SSC Information Desk.
- Chapel – In-person chapel will remain paused until we return to normal schedule. However, we will be announcing special online chapel programs during this short season. Watch for updates!
- Isolation – Students who test positive for COVID should plan to isolate at home (if they are able) or in expanded University isolation spaces. If there are no isolation spaces available on campus and the student is unable to go home, then they may isolate in their residence hall room, and extra precautions will be communicated by Residence Life to protect other students. Meals will be delivered to any student in isolation who remains on campus.
- Quarantine – There is no change to the quarantine plan. Students who have been in close contact will continue to stay in their rooms and obtain their meals during expanded meal pick-up times. They may choose to go home during the Flexible Format time. If a student’s roommate is isolating or in quarantine, the healthy student will have flexibility to either study at home or find a friend where they can stay temporarily.
Cedarville University’s goal is to be on-campus and face-to-face, and we believe this Flexible Format strategy gives us the best opportunity to address the Delta variant and return to more normal operations. We are taking difficult steps now so that we can enjoy the best days of the semester ahead with all of us together.
These 10 Flexible Format days out of the approximately 1,000 days that our undergraduate students spend on campus may be different, even difficult for some. But, together, we commit to make the most of them and see how God will work. Please continue to pray for one another and serve faithfully, and we will celebrate together when this season is past.
COVID-19 Update (August 25, 2021)
We are continuing to actively monitor and respond to COVID-19 spread on our campus with our highest priority being to serve and care well for our students who are ill. Please review the following updates:
Expanding On-Campus Isolation Spaces
We are actively working on a plan to increase isolation spaces on campus to serve students who are unable to go home due to distance or other significant factors. We expect to announce the plan by later today. As a reminder, students with a positive COVID-19 test who are able to isolate at home must plan to do so, and we encourage students to proactively develop their travel plan in case they would need to isolate.
Meals for Students in Quarantine
To better serve our students who are in quarantine due to a close contact, student meal pickup times have been extended as follows:
- Breakfast: 7-8:30 a.m. (Mon.-Fri.); 8-9:30 a.m. (Sat. and Sun.)
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
- Dinner: 5-6:30 p.m.
With a goal to serve our students and parents well, please email non-medical questions to firstname.lastname@example.org for a personal response. As always, any medical emergency should be reported immediately by calling 911.
COVID-19 Update (August 24, 2021)
As we are experiencing an increased number of COVID-19 cases on our campus and in our region and nation, University administration announced the following temporary updates to our operating protocols today at the conclusion of chapel. These changes are effective immediately and will be in place through September 1.
- Masks are strongly encouraged in all indoor public spaces.
- Chapel will not meet.
- Students with confirmed COVID-19 cases will isolate at home, if at all possible.
- Outdoor activities are encouraged.
The University's COVID-19 tracking report is provided so that our campus community can be aware of the current number of cases among our residential students and continue to take personal responsibility for their health. University leadership is meeting regularly and will reevaluate our data daily and update plans as required.