Filr: Download, Access, and Use on a Smartphone or Tablet
If you are unfamiliar with Filr and would like to learn more about this web application, see the Filr: Getting Started help page.
On an Android device...
On an iOS device...
- Open the App Store and search for “Novell Filr”
- Click on [Free] located near the top of the page.
- The text inside the button should change to [INSTALL] > Click the button again to initiate the installation.
- Enter your Apple ID password in order to sign in to the iTunes store > Click [OK].
- Take a minute to view the screenshots provided. These will help you become more familiar with the Filr interface and some of the things you can do in Filr. Once you are finished > Click "Done" in the top-right corner of your device.
- You have finished installing Filr on your device. If you want to begin working in Filr right away, click [OPEN] > Enter your login credentials (see the section below on accessing filr) > Click [Sign In]. Otherwise, you can navigate away from the Novell Filr site; the Filr app will be located on your home screen.
On a BlackBerry Playbook or Z10...
- Once you have downloaded the Novell Filr app, it should appear on the home screen of your device > Click the Filr app icon to launch.
- On the login page, enter your CedarNet username and password. For the "Server IP Address," enter "filer.cedarville.edu".
- If you would like the app to remember your password, make sure "Save Password" is checked or set to "ON" (depending on which device you are using).
- Click [Sign in].
- If your device tells you the certificate is invalid, just tap "Continue" to keep logging in.
Once you have opened and logged in to the Novell Filr app, you should see three icons located just below the header bar. Underneath these icons, are the descriptions "My Files," "Shared with Me," and "Net Folders." If you click on these text descriptions instead of the icons, you will only view files that you have "Recently Opened" from those places. If you click on the icons, you will actually see all the folders and files from those places.
- From the home screen on Filr, click on the icon located just above "My Files" in order to access your H:drive.
- From the home screen, click on the icon located above "Net Folders" in order to access other network drives that are available to you.
- To open a file or folder, simply tap it as presented on the screen. Note that your device may not be capable of opening certain files in which case you will recieve an "Unable to view file" message.
- Next to any file or folder, you can click on the blue arrow in order to find out information such as who created the file or folder and when it was created. You can also choose to share the item with others. Finally, you can click on [Actions] in order to [Delete] or [Rename] the item.
- To add a folder, click the folder icon located near the top-left of the screen > Give the folder a name > Click [Save].
- If you would like to return to the home screen at any time, click the home icon located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- To log out of Filr, click the person icon located in the top-right corner of the screen.
If you would like an even more detailed description of Filr and how it applies to both mobile and non-mobile devices, see the attached "Printable Instructions."
If you run into any problems while using Filr, you can submit a computer service request (CSR), and Information Technology will work to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Keywords: filer, fyler, H: drive access, network drives access