HTML Email Courtesy Guidelines
This help page offers general courtesy guideline suggestions for emailing on campus. If you would like to know how to send emails that are smaller in size and always readable to your recipients, browse the other categories on this page.
Information technology asks you keep emails to 2MB or less out of courtesy to those you are emailing. Larger emails take longer to download and take up more mailbox space.
To check the size of your email in GroupWise, complete the following steps:
- Add the “Size” column (see the Use Columns in GroupWise help page) to your mailbox to see the size of the emails.
- Send the email to yourself.
- In your “Mailbox,” you will see the message from yourself. Look under the size column for that email and notice the numbers listed.
- Count six positions from the right to the left to determine the size (e.g., if the size displays 1135250, that email is 1.1MB).
Things to consider:
- Sending an email to the whole campus adds at least .6 MB to its size.
- PDF attachments increase file size.
- Saving graphics as a .jpg or .png file type reduces the size of the email.
If your image is too large, you can resize your image in a number of ways.
The GroupWise email default on campus is set to display in "Text only," so many people who receive your HTML email may not be able to view the images. Email recipients who are either off-campus, use a dial-up connection, or use an email program that does not properly support HTML may not be able to view some or all of the email you send from GroupWise.
If you would like to make sure your recipients receive the information in the email (or don't waste time reading it), you can state who the audience is at the top of the message. This tells those who are not members of the designated audience that they do not need to view the email.
Audience: All Students, Faculty, and Staff
Also, after any image you have attached, you can repeat the information that is presented in the image just in case the recipient is unable to open it.
Date: Saturday, August 15, 2010
Time: 6-8 p.m.
Contact: [Provide Contact Information]
Keywords: email, e-mail, rules, GroupWise, Group Wise, group, groups, pictures, big emails, getting started, html email, email guidelines