Moodle: Respondus Lockdown
Moodle: Respondus Lockdown
Respondus Lockdown is a browser that can be used with any Learning Management System (in Cedarville's case: Moodle). The main purpose of Respondus is to encourage student integrity by preventing any web searching during online quizzes.
To use Respondus for a particular quiz, faculty must add the Respondus "block" to the right side of their Moodle home screen and navigate to the quiz from there (see below); students must install Respondus on the computer they wish to take the quiz on. Students can use Respondus on both University computers and personal laptops. Instructions for both of these situations are listed below.
If the instructor has selected to use Respondus for a quiz, the student will not be able to access the quiz until he or she has downloaded and opened the Respondus browser.
Once the student has opened the browser, he or she will log in to Moodle and take the quiz. The student will not be able to navigate to any other page while taking the quiz. In addition, he or she must complete the quiz before exiting out of the Respondus browser.
- In Moodle, make sure to [Turn editing on] if you have not done so already.
- On the right side of the screen under "Add A Block," click the drop down menu > Select "Respondus Lockdown Browser."
- After the Respondus block is added to the right side of the screen, click "Dashboard ..."
- Next to the quiz or test for which you would like to require the browser, click the dropdown arrow > Click "Modify Settings."
- In the box that appears, select that you would like to use the Respondus browser.
- When you are finished, click [Save and Close].
If a quiz in Moodle requires Respondus, it will read "Name of quiz- Requires Respondus LockDown Browser." For a student to access Respondus from a University computer, he or she must complete the following steps:
- Click on the Windows Start menu from the lower left corner of the screen. (In Windows 10, click on "CedarNet" from the desktop and skip to step 3.)
- Click "All Programs" > Select "CedarNet."
- Within CedarNet, click "Communications" > Select "Respondus Lockdown Browser - Lab."
As long as students are taking the quiz on a University computer (lab or classroom computer), it should say "Lab" at the end of "Respondus LockDown Browser." If students are working from a University computer in an office, the program name will have "FS" listed at the end for Fac/Staff. Students will be required to enter an "Administrator" password when using a Fac/Staff computer. In this case, enter the 6-digit password that is located on the white sticker attached to the computer box > Click [Yes].
- If Respondus has not been previously downloaded on that computer, an installation popup will appear. The installation should take no more than a few minutes.
- The Respondus browser should automatically open up with Moodle as the home page > Log in as normal and begin taking the quiz.
If a student is taking a quiz that requires the Respondus browser and would like to take it on a personal (non-University) computer, he or she will have to download and install Respondus from the Internet.
Keywords: block access, Respondis, Respondas, Respond, quiz blocker, block quizzes, web restriction, navigation restriction, browser