Cedarville University Board of Trustees
Resolution of Board Findings of the Independent Reports
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees of Cedarville University was made aware of additional information related to Dr. Anthony Moore’s past that led to the termination of his employment by President Thomas White on April 23, 2020; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees considered this matter at the spring meeting of the Board and ordered three courses of action on May 1, 2020:
- To hire an independent firm to conduct an internal investigation to ensure nothing inappropriate involving Dr. Moore took place on our campus or with any of our students elsewhere. This firm will report to the Board, and the Board will then report the findings to the Cedarville University community at-large.
- To retain an independent firm to conduct an audit of the entire process surrounding the hiring of Dr. Moore. This will include a thorough review of all relevant communication involving Dr. White and Dr. Moore, the Trustees, The Village Church, employment references, etc. The firm will report its findings to the Board.
- To place Dr. White on administrative leave during these investigations and appointed Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Loren Reno as acting president of Cedarville University; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees asked Husch Blackwell LLP to conduct an investigation using its independent professional judgment and to present its findings to the Board; and
WHEREAS, Husch Blackwell LLP found no evidence that Dr. Moore engaged in any conduct of a sexual nature on campus or with any University student or employee elsewhere; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees asked Husch Blackwell LLP to conduct an audit of the process surrounding the hiring of Dr. Moore using its independent professional judgment and to present its findings to the Board independent of any outside influence; and
WHEREAS, Husch Blackwell LLP found that:
- There is no reason to question President White’s benevolent motivation with respect to the overall enterprise of hiring Dr. Moore.
- It is reasonable to infer from the evidence available that President White took steps that he knew, or should have known, clouded the specific nature of Dr. Moore’s misconduct.
- It is reasonable to infer that President White subsequently failed to notify the Board of the specific nature of Dr. Moore’s misconduct; and
WHEREAS, President White has apologized for these mistakes, acknowledged his errors in judgment and oversight, and has expressed remorse for hiring Dr. Moore; and
WHEREAS, President White took action when he learned the full extent of Dr. Moore’s past; and
WHEREAS, President White has seven years of excellent service, and during his administrative leave he has continued to express remorse for his mistakes and has voluntarily cooperated with the internal investigation; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of Cedarville University reinstates President White from administrative leave; and be it
RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of Cedarville University is requiring Dr. White:
- To complete courses on victim prevention and victim advocacy
- To lead Cedarville University to emphasize victim prevention, awareness, advocacy, and other related areas; and be it
RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of Cedarville University commits to moving forward with humility, grace, mercy, integrity, civility, and respect and prays that God will be honored by these actions.