Mark Caleb Smith
Mark Smith, Ph.D.Chair, Professor of Political Science, Director of the Center for Political Studies
Dr. Smith teaches courses in American politics, constitutional law, and research methodology/data analysis. He has authored numerous refereed journal articles, book chapters, and other publications. His primary research interest is in the field of religion and American politics. Before joining the faculty at Cedarville, Dr. Smith taught at Tulane University and Calvin College. Dr. Smith also serves as the Director of the Center for Political Studies at Cedarville University.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Georgia
- M.A. in Political Science, University of Georgia
- M.A. in History of Christianity, Trinity Evangelical Divinity
- B.A. in History, Bryan College
- Rendering to God and Caesar: Critical Readings for American Government (Mark Caleb Smith, Jewerl Maxwell, Marc A. Clauson, et al.) Faculty Books (2014)
- Religious Conservatives and the Transformation of Southern Politics (M. J. Rozell and Mark Caleb Smith) History and Government Faculty Publications (2012)
- The Religious Right and Electoral Politics in the South (C. S. Bullock and Mark Caleb Smith) History and Government Faculty Publications (2005)
- Fanning the Flames: Religious Media Consumption and American Politics (Brian Newman and Mark Caleb Smith) American Politics Research (2007)
- Religiosity, Secularism, and Social Health: A Research Note (Thomas S. Mach, Gerson Moreno-Riano and Mark Caleb Smith) Journal of Religion and Society (2006)
- Watching college football
2018 Gubernatorial Elections
Dr. Mark Smith discusses the role President Trump is having on politics in Ohio.
Poll Results Show Close Race
Dr. Mark Caleb Smith discusses the poll results for the gubernatorial race between Dewine and Cordray.
Sen. Brown Says No to White
Dr. Mark Caleb Smith discusses why Sen. Sherrod Brown has decided not to run for President as a Democratic candidate, saying the lack of name recognition would probably hurt him.
Does Mueller Report Exonerate Trump?
Dr. Mark Caleb Smith discusses whether Attorney General Barr’s summary of the special investigator’s report exonerates President Trump.