Chet Jenkins, DMAAssistant Professor of Music; Director of Wind Symphony and Jazz Band
Dr. Chet Jenkins is the director of the Cedarville University Wind Symphony and Jazz Band, and he teaches courses in conducting, jazz improvisation, and jazz history and coaches various chamber ensembles. As a supporter of new music, he has participated in the commissioning of new works for both the saxophone and for band from composers such as Gunther Schuller, David Maslanka, Steven Bryant, and Kenneth Fuchs. Dr. Jenkins has maintained an active performance schedule as both a classical and jazz saxophonist. Dr. Jenkins is a conducting student of Russel Mikkelson, Scott Jones, and John Climer and a saxophone student of Michael Torres, James Hill, Matt James, Harold Ashenfelter, and Jerry Rogers.
Education and Credentials
- D.M.A. in Saxophone Performance, The Ohio State University
- M.M. in Saxophone Performance, Ohio University
- B.A. in Saxophone Performance, Cedarville University
Scholarly WorksA Conductor's and Performer's Guide to Steven Bryant's Concerto for Alto Saxophone View a listing of scholarly works in the Cedarville University Digital Commons »
- Jazz History
- Composer and musician biographies
- Building Star Wars LEGO sets
- Laughing with my three girls
- Why Cedarville?: Having graduated from Cedarville, I am well aware of the impact that my professors had on me throughout the course of my studies. They helped me not only in the classroom, but as I worked to grow as both a Christian and a musician. I hope to be that same kind of professor for my students now, and continue that great legacy.